This easy recipe for Vanilla Sweet Cream Cold Foam is a frothy and creamy way to luxuriously top off any drink.
What is sweet cream cold foam?
Popularized by Starbucks, Sweet Cream Cold Foam is a mixture of heavy cream (whipping cream) and milk, sweetened with vanilla syrup.
It has an airy, fluffy, frothy texture that is in between whipped cream and foamed milk.
The sweet cream cold foam has a vanilla-based flavor from the vanilla simple syrup, but can be easily adapted for a different flavour.
What is cold foam?
Starbucks cold foam is a mixture of only skim milk (1%) and vanilla syrup.
It has a lighter, thinner texture compared to Starbucks sweet cream.
Why you'll love this recipe
This Starbucks copycat recipe for Vanilla Sweet Cream Cold Foam is easy and simple to make.
Making it at home allows you to control the amount of sweetness.
Ingredients you'll need
- heavy whipping cream: at least 36% milkfat (MF); cold
- whole milk: or non-dairy alternative, if you desire
- homemade vanilla syrup: or any sweetener you like; if you don't have simple syrup, you can make your own by combining equal amounts of sugar and water and boiling it in a saucepan until the sugar dissolves -- let it cool before using
- vanilla extract: or vanilla bean paste
How to make Starbucks vanilla sweet cream cold foam
Pour heavy cream into a tall jar (a mason jar works best here).
Add in the whole milk, vanilla syrup and vanilla extract.
Use a hand-held milk frother to whip the mixture until lightly aerated and foamy. Be careful not to overwhip.
How to serve
Besides cold brew, serve the Vanilla Sweet Cream Cold Foam on:
If you don't have whole milk, you can use half-and-half, which is 10% cream (half cream and half milk).
You can also use non-dairy/dairy-free alternatives such as oat milk, coconut milk, or almond milk. (Note: if you're vegan, you can use a coconut cream instead heavy cream).
Other ways to froth
If you don't have a handheld milk frother or electric frother, you can whisk the mixture by hand using a balloon whisk.
Or use an immersion blender if you're making a larger batch.
Alternatively, you can secure a lid to your mason jar and give it a good shake.
FAQs & troubleshooting
The cream separated.
This can happen if the cream has been sitting for a while.
Just use a spoon or spatula and give it a few stirs to emulsify the mixture.
Can I use 2% milk or skim milk?
Starbucks uses 2% milk, but you can experiment with either.
Skim milk will yield a thinner texture, similar to cold foam.
Other drink recipes you may like
Be sure to check out these recipes:
Let me know if you try out this recipe -- tag me on Instagram @siftandsimmer or leave me a comment/rating below!
Vanilla Sweet Cream Cold Foam
For accuracy and precision in baking recipes, use weight (metric) measurements when available.
For key visual process steps, refer to the body of the blog post.
- Pour heavy cream into a tall jar (a mason jar works best here).
- Add in the whole milk, vanilla syrup and vanilla extract.
- Use a hand-held milk frother to whip the mixture until lightly aerated and foamy. Be careful not to overwhip.
- Add to your favorite cold brew coffee or espresso-based drink.
The nutritional information provided should be considered as approximate and is not guaranteed. Please use your best judgment to ensure food is safely prepared and/or a good fit for your diet.