This copycat recipe for White Chocolate Peppermint Mocha is my go-to festive drink, inspired by Starbucks. Coffee and peppermint will be sure to get you into the holiday spirit!
This recipe first appeared on Sift & Simmer in November 2018. Updated November 2021.
Creamy, tingling, sweet, with that slight undertone of coffee bitterness -- it's the one thing I've attempted to make at home but it's never compared to Starbucks.
Why you'll love this recipe
This is a Starbucks copy-cat version of their White Chocolate Peppermint Mocha.
It's made with all-natural ingredients, no preservatives, and no corn syrup (from the peppermint and vanilla syrups).
It's actually really quite easy to make, as long as you've got good quality peppermint extract.
Ingredients you'll need
- heavy cream: for the best flavour, use a cream of 36% milkfat or higher, however you can use half and half if you like
- white chocolate: chopped, use a good quality white chocolate for the best flavour;
- peppermint extract: adds a tingly, minty flavour to the coffee; note: it can be quite strong so adjust to your taste -- start with a little and gradually add more
- coffee: use 2 shots of espresso or strong brewed coffee
- milk: or non-dairy alternative of your choice
- whipped cream: optional
I like my peppermint mocha with a real hit of mint, so I've added ½ teaspoon peppermint extract.
As always, feel free to decrease the amount to ¼ teaspoon if you don't like it too intensely minty.
How to make it
First, combine the heavy cream with the white chocolate in a small saucepan over medium-low heat.
Once the the white chocolate has completely melted, remove from heat.
Stir in the peppermint extract.
Pour the white chocolate peppermint sauce into a large mug.
Add in the brewed coffee, and top off with milk.
Garnish with whipped cream and crushed peppermint candy cane if you like!
How to store
This White Chocolate Peppermint Mocha is best served freshly made.
You can prepare the white chocolate peppermint sauce ahead of time and store it in the fridge. Just warm up the sauce gently before using.
Where can I find peppermint extract?
You can find peppermint extract in major grocery stores or specialty baking stores.
Can I make it without coffee?
Omit the espresso/coffee for a coffee-free version. Add milk to replace the coffee for a White Chocolate Hot Chocolate.
Other recipes you may like
Matcha White Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
Chocolate Peppermint Crinkle Cookies
Triple Peppermint Hot Chocolate
And as always, I'd love to see your creations if you make it -- tag me on Instagram @siftandsimmer or leave me a comment/rating below.
White Chocolate Peppermint Mocha
For accuracy and precision in baking recipes, use weight (metric) measurements when available.
- 2 tablespoon heavy cream
- 30 g good quality white chocolate chopped (I use Callebaut)
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract decrease to ¼ teaspoon if you find it too intense
- 2 shots espresso or ¾ C strong brewed coffee
- 1 ¼ C steamed milk or non-dairy alternative, such as almond or soy
- 2 tablespoon whipped cream optional
- 1 candy cane crushed (optional)
- In a small saucepan, add the heavy whipping cream and heat gently over medium-low heat. Add in the white chocolate and stir until the chocolate is melted.
- Remove from heat and stir in the peppermint extract.
- Pour the white chocolate peppermint syrup into a large serving mug.
- Next, pour in the espresso or strong brewed coffee, and then top with steamed milk.
- Garnish with whipped cream and crushed candy cane if you desire.
- Serve immediately.
The nutritional information provided should be considered as approximate and is not guaranteed. Please use your best judgment to ensure food is safely prepared and/or a good fit for your diet.
I love the combination of white chocolate and peppermint. It's the perfect holiday drink.
So perfect for the holidays! My kids enjoyed it!
I'm usually not a huge fan of white chocolate except when it's in drinks like this. It brings such a nice sweet decadence to the hot chocolate!
Enjoyed this with breakfast this morning and started my day off right! Love the added kick of peppermint to get my day going; hands down delicious and perfect for the holidays!
Peppermint and white chocolate is such an amazing combination. I can't wait to give this a try.