This recipe for Triple Peppermint Hot Chocolate is for real peppermint lovers. It features peppermint in the hot chocolate base, whipped cream, and marshmallows.
The holidays are here and they really creeped up on me this year.
I'm so behind on my Christmas baking.
But anyway, one of my favourite flavours of the season is peppermint... so I'm thinking of a Triple Peppermint Hot Chocolate.
I remember when my eldest was learning to brush his teeth and hated the taste of peppermint.
Thank goodness through the years, he's learned to enjoy the flavour.
I made this Triple Peppermint Hot Chocolate for myself and my son asked to try it -- I warned him that it was super peppermint-y.
He took a sip and he gave me a thumbs up, and proceeded to finish it off.
Why you'll love the recipe
What makes this triple peppermint hot chocolate amazing is that you'll find peppermint in 3 places:
- in the the hot chocolate base
- peppermint whipped cream
- peppermint marshmallows
And it's quick to whip up.
Ingredients you'll need
You'll need 6 ingredients:
- hot water: for dissolving the cocoa powder
- cocoa powder: you can use Dutch processed, or regular cocoa; unsweetened
- cornstarch: adds a silky smooth finish to the hot chocolate
- granulated sugar: or any sweetener that you like
- whole milk: you can use any milk or non-dairy alternative, however, whole milk works the best
- peppermint extract: use a culinary extract; you can find it in baking stores -- a little bit goes a long way
How to make it
Whisk together the hot water, cocoa, cornstarch, and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat.
Add in the milk and whisk to combine, until heated through.
Remove from heat and add in the peppermint extract.
Garnish with peppermint whipped cream if you like.
How to serve & store
Serve the hot chocolate immediately.
You can reheat the hot chocolate in a small saucepan.
Can I make a larger batch?
You can increase the recipe accordingly for a larger batch.
Can I omit the peppermint extract?
You can, and it will be a regular hot chocolate.
Hot chocolate spiked with peppermint extract, with cooling peppermint whipped cream, and to "gild the lily," as they say -- I've added peppermint marshmallows and topped it with crushed candy cane.
Here's to the most festive drink of the season. Cheers!
Other peppermint recipes you may like
While I love predominant flavours in my foods, this is definitely for peppermint lovers.
If you love peppermint, you may enjoy these recipes:
If you try this, let me know! Tag me on Instagram @siftandsimmer or leave me a comment/rating below.
Triple Peppermint Hot Chocolate
For accuracy and precision in baking recipes, use weight (metric) measurements when available.
- ½ C hot water
- 2 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1-2 tablespoon granulated cane sugar
- 1 C whole milk
- ¼ teaspoon peppermint extract
Peppermint Whipped Cream:
- ¼ C heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon powdered sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon peppermint extract
- crushed peppermint candies/candy cane
- mini peppermint marshmallows optional
Make the peppermint hot chocolate:
- In a small saucepan, whisk together water, cocoa powder, cornstarch, and sugar over medium low heat.
- When it comes to a simmer, add in the whole milk and heat through.
- Remove from heat and add in the peppermint extract.
Make the whipped cream:
- In a small glass bowl, add in the heavy cream and whisk until bubbles appear.
- Add in the powdered sugar and continue to whisk until just soft peaks. Add in peppermint extract and give it a few more whisks.
- Pour the peppermint hot chocolate into a mug.
- Dollop some peppermint whipped cream and top with crushed candy cane and garnish with peppermint marshmallows. Serve immediately.
The nutritional information provided should be considered as approximate and is not guaranteed. Please use your best judgment to ensure food is safely prepared and/or a good fit for your diet.