This Iced Matcha Latte a delicious, energizing and refreshing way to enjoy matcha green tea. Whisk matcha powder with a little water, add some ice and top with milk.
What is matcha?
Matcha is a Japanese green tea powder made from ground green tea leaves.
Matcha powder is bright green in colour and has a slight grassy, vegetal flavor and taste.
If you're new to matcha, you will want to read my Beginner's Guide to Matcha.
What is a matcha latte?
A matcha latte is a tea-based drink of milk and tea, usually served warm.
Why you'll love this recipe
This recipe is easy and simple to make.
You can easily adjust the amounts to your preference.
It's a refreshing way to enjoy matcha green tea, especially if you're just starting out.
Unlike Starbucks matcha lattes, which are mainly made of sugar, this one is made with pure green tea, and sweetened to your taste.
Ingredients you'll need
All you'll need is:
- hot water: not boiling hot; around 80C/176F; water that is too hot can impart a bitter taste
- matcha powder: choose a high-quality matcha, such as a ceremonial grade matcha for the best flavor, taste and color
- milk: you can use any milk of your choice, however, non-dairy alternatives such as oat milk, almond milk, coconut milk, soy milk are more optimal
- sweetener: optional; you can use any sweetener such as honey, maple syrup, simple syrup, sugar, agave syrup
How to make an iced matcha latte
Place sifted matcha into a glass.
Pour in hot water and whisk until frothy. (You can use an electric whisk/frother or a traditional chasen [bamboo whisk]).
Add in sweetener of your choice, if using.
Add ice cubes, and top with milk of your choice.
Stick in a straw, give it a stir and enjoy.
Easy ways to froth tea or milk
There are many ways to froth tea or milk:
- You can use a glass mason jar with a tight-fitting lid and give it a good shake.
- Use an electric whisk/milk frother.
- A French press -- give it a few pumps.
- Or use a blender to blend everything together.
Try flavoring the Iced Matcha Latte with vanilla extract, pandan syrup, rose syrup for a Matcha Rose Latte or lavender syrup.
If you're feeling extra fancy, top off the iced matcha green tea latte with whipped cream, or try a Matcha con Panna.
For an alternative (less caffeine) version, try an Iced Hojicha Latte, which is similarly made with roasted hojicha tea powder.
Does matcha have caffeine?
Matcha does contain caffeine.
However, it also contains an amino acid that slows down the absorption of caffeine.
Can I use a culinary grade matcha?
You can definitely use a culinary grade matcha.
Choose a matcha that you enjoy drinking.
Why does matcha need to be sifted?
Matcha does tend to easily clump, so sifting helps to remove those clumps and make it easier to "dissolve" in water.
Other matcha tea drink recipes you may like
Layered Strawberry Matcha Latte
Homemade Matcha Espresso Fusion
Let me know if you try out this recipe -- tag me on Instagram @siftandsimmer or leave me a comment/rating below!
Iced Matcha Latte
For accuracy and precision in baking recipes, use weight (metric) measurements when available.
- 1 teaspoon matcha powder sifted
- ¼ C hot water ~80°C/176°F
- 1-2 teaspoon sweetener optional
- 1 C milk or non-dairy alternative
- Place sifted matcha powder to a glass.
- Pour in hot water and whisk until frothy.
- Add sweetener to your taste, if using.
- Add in ice cubes.
- Top off with milk of your choice
- Stick in a straw, give it a stir and enjoy.
The nutritional information provided should be considered as approximate and is not guaranteed. Please use your best judgment to ensure food is safely prepared and/or a good fit for your diet.
Heidi | The Frugal Girls
Your matcha latte is such a fun alternative to my daily coffee. I especially loved your suggestions to use a non-dairy milk and maple syrup for a sweetener.
David @ Spiced
I do enjoy a good iced matcha latte on a hot summer day. Laura, though? She LOVES them. It could be 15°F outside, and she'd still go for one. I should make a couple of these - we have all of the ingredients including a bit of whipping cream for topping 'em off!
This matcha latte is stunning and so refreshing! Mine frothed up beautifully. Yum!
I made this tasty iced matcha recipe yesterday and it was just delicious. Will be making it again soon. Thanks so much for the detailed and easy to follow directions.
Thanks so much for trying out the recipe, Bella 🙂 Glad you enjoyed it!
I mader this iced latte yesterday! Such as good recipe! It was a nice little change from my daily morning coffee routine. Thanks for the recipe.
You're most welcome, Rose! Glad you enjoyed!