Matcha con Panna literally means "matcha with cream" in Italian. Borrowed from the Italian drink, espresso con panna, this version contains concentrated green tea topped off with whipped cream.
What is matcha con panna?
You may already know of panna cotta, which is a molded Italian dessert of "cooked cream."
This Matcha con panna is inspired by the Italian drink, espresso con panna, which means "espresso with cream."
If you're new to matcha, be sure to read my Beginner's Guide to Matcha.
Other recipes featuring matcha and cream
Why you'll love this recipe
This matcha con panna drink recipe is really simple to make.
If you're needing a concentrated pick-me up, this is the drink for you.
You only need a few ingredients.
Ingredients you'll need
- matcha powder: choose a high-quality matcha powder for the best taste and flavor
- whipped cream: you can use store-bought, or make your own by whipping up a little heavy whipping cream (36% milkfat)
If you like your drink sweeter, feel free to add powdered sugar to the whipped cream, or add simple syrup/sweetener to the matcha green tea.
For a different type of cream, try a sweet cream cold foam, which is a "softer" cream made of milk and cream or half-and-half.
How to make it
Add sifted matcha to a small heat-resistant glass.
Bring hot water up to a boil and let it cool to 80 degrees C/176 degrees F.
Pour hot water into the glass and froth up the matcha (with a matcha whisk or electric frother).
Add in sweetener of your choice, if using.
Dollop whipped cream onto the matcha.
Give it a swirl/stir and enjoy.
How to store
Enjoy the Matcha con panna freshly made, as the cream will eventually deflate and melt into the drink.
What to serve with matcha con panna?
Other drink recipes you may like
Be sure to check out these recipes:
Let me know if you try out this recipe -- tag me on Instagram @siftandsimmer or leave me a comment/rating below!
Matcha con Panna
For accuracy and precision in baking recipes, use weight (metric) measurements when available.
- ½ teaspoon matcha
- 45 ml hot water
- sweetener optional
- 1-2 tablespoon whipped cream
- Add sifted matcha to a small heat-resistant glass.
- Bring hot water up to a boil and let it cool to 80 degrees C/176 degrees F.
- Pour hot water into the glass and froth up the matcha (with a matcha whisk or electric frother).
- Add in sweetener of your choice, if using.
- Dollop whipped cream onto the matcha.
- Give it a swirl/stir and enjoy.
- Tip: if you prefer a sweeter version, add a little sweetener to the matcha or whipped cream.
The nutritional information provided should be considered as approximate and is not guaranteed. Please use your best judgment to ensure food is safely prepared and/or a good fit for your diet.