This Koicha Matcha Affogato is a spin on the classic Italian dessert and features a thick matcha paired with vanilla or matcha ice cream. It's an easy way to cool down during the summer.
It's finally starting to look like summer in Vancouver.
The weather forecast this week for Vancouver is going to be sunny with warm temperatures, and that means one thing.
But most importantly, Koicha Matcha Affogato.
Matcha ice cream is great, but since I don't like my sweets too sweet, a sophisticated way to tone it down is by adding some matcha to it.
In the form of an Italian-style affogato.
What is an affogato?
It's a simple Italian dessert consisting of hot espresso poured over ice cream.
"Affogato" literally means "drowned."
But I find the consistency of the affogato a little too thin and runny if I add regular matcha.
What is koicha?
Koicha is a thick-style matcha.
It still consists of matcha powder and water, but the ratio of matcha powder increases.
Since we're using much more matcha, the quality of the matcha needs to be higher.
For this recipe, ceremonial (rather than culinary) grade matcha is the best choice for making koicha.
If using a lesser grade, you may be left with an unpleasant bitter taste in your mouth.
Why you'll love this recipe
This Matcha Affogato is the perfect dessert for summer, and doesn't require much time in the kitchen.
Adjust the thickness of the matcha by adding more or less water.
It's super easy to make with only 3 ingredients.
- a high quality ceremonial matcha
- hot water
- ice cream of your choice (vanilla, matcha or even hojicha)
How to make it
Boil some hot water.
Add the matcha powder to a small bowl and pour the hot water in.
Whisk the matcha until thick.
Scoop ice cream into a serving vessel.
Pour the matcha over top of the ice cream and serve with a spoon.
How to serve
Enjoy the Matcha Affogato immediately.
Play around with the flavours.
Instead of matcha, you can do a hojicha version.
Other recipes you may like
Be sure to check out these recipes:
Creamy, smooth, and delightfully refreshing -- this Koicha Matcha Affogato will take your ice cream dessert to a new level.
Let me know if you try this recipe -- tag me on Instagram @siftandsimmer or leave me a comment/rating below!
Koicha Matcha Affogato
For accuracy and precision in baking recipes, use weight (metric) measurements when available.
- 2 scoops vanilla or matcha ice cream
- 2 tablespoon boiled hot water
- 1 ½ teaspoon ceremonial matcha sifted
- Chill the glasses or serving vessels in the fridge for at least 10 minutes. This will help keep the ice cream cool.
- Make the koicha (thick matcha): add the sifted matcha powder to a small bowl and carefully pour the hot water over it. (It's better to add a little water at a time so you can control how thick you want the koicha).
- Whisk with a bamboo chasen until you obtain a pourable, but thick luscious green liquid.
- Add a large scoop of ice cream into each serving vessel/glass.
- Pour the koicha over top of the ice cream and serve immediately.
The nutritional information provided should be considered as approximate and is not guaranteed. Please use your best judgment to ensure food is safely prepared and/or a good fit for your diet.