This Simple Affogato recipe is a delicious way to enjoy coffee and ice cream together in a dessert. With only 2 ingredients, it's truly an easy and impressive treat.
What is an affogato?
It's an Italian dessert consisting of hot espresso poured over ice cream or gelato.
In Italian, "affogato" literally means "drowned."
As the ice cream melts into the coffee, Affogato can be categorized as both a dessert and as a drink.
Why you'll love this recipe
This recipe is so easy to whip up, with only 2 ingredients!
You can change up the flavour of the ice cream for a twist.
Try a Matcha Affogato for a green tea version.
Ingredients you'll need
- vanilla ice cream: or any flavour ice cream or gelato you like
- hot espresso: a shot of espresso; it's made by forcing hot water through compacted coffee grounds at high pressure; you can also use strong brewed coffee or instant espresso powder if you prefer
How to make it
Add 1-2 scoops of ice cream into a serving vessel.
Pour hot espresso/coffee over the ice cream and enjoy immediately with a spoon and/or straw.
How to serve
Since Affogato is quick to prepare, impress any last-minute guests with this easy treat.
You can enjoy Affogato after a meal as a dessert, or have it as an afternoon pick-me up.
Serve the Affogato with biscuits or cookies on the side.
FAQs & expert tips
- Chill the serving vessel in the fridge or freezer for 10-15 minutes to prevent the ice cream from melting too quickly.
- If you don't want your ice cream to melt too quickly, use cooled espresso rather than hot espresso.
- Play around with adding garnishes such chopped nuts, cookies, or adding a shot of liqueur (eg. Amaretto, Baileys, etc).
Do I need to use espresso?
No, you can use brewed coffee or instant coffee if you prefer.
Can I make this without caffeine?
If you're sensitive to caffeine, use decaffeinated coffee/espresso instead.
Can I use dairy-free dessert?
Yes, you can choose a dairy-free/vegan dessert instead of ice cream if you like.
Other recipes you may like
Be sure to check out these recipes:
Let me know if you try out this recipe -- tag me on Instagram @siftandsimmer or leave me a comment/rating below!
For accuracy and precision in baking recipes, use weight (metric) measurements when available.
- 1-2 scoops ice cream or gelato of your choice
- 1 shot hot espresso or ¼ C strong brewed coffee
- Add 1-2 scoops of ice cream into a serving vessel.
- Pour hot espresso/coffee over the ice cream and enjoy immediately with a spoon and/or straw.
The nutritional information provided should be considered as approximate and is not guaranteed. Please use your best judgment to ensure food is safely prepared and/or a good fit for your diet.