This recipe for Avocado Toast is simple and truly easy to make. It features freshly mashed, creamy avocado spread on top of country-style artisan crusty bread.
What are avocados?
Avocados are a green fruit with a large brown pit, and pebbled green skin that darkens as they ripen.
Unripe avocados have green skin and feels firm and hard to the touch.
What do avocados taste like?
Avocados have a smooth, creamy and buttery texture.
The taste is often described as rich and mellow, with a slightly sweet and earthy flavor.
Fully ripe avocados tend to have a more intense flavor and a softer, creamier texture.
How to choose avocados
As avocados ripen, the skin turns black and the fruit will yield to gentle pressure.
If the avocado feels soft, it's ready to use -- or it may be over ripe.
Check the skin of the avocado -- it should not have any bruises or indentations.
Inspect the avocado stem -- if it is green, it's good to go; it's also a good place to check for any signs of mold.
How to store & ripen avocados
After purchasing the avocados, place them at room temperature to ripen, if they are hard and firm.
To speed up the ripening process, you can place them inside a paper bag, beside tomatoes and/or bananas (which give off ethylene gas).
Once the avocados feel soft (but not mushy), place them into the fridge to slow down the ripening process.
Note: don't store unripe avocados in the fridge -- they will not ripen.
Why you'll love this recipe
Easy to make: this is a basic recipe that anyone can make and master, with minimal effort
Adaptable: easily tailor the flavors to your liking
Quick: it's a fast and easy lunch, snack, or even a meal that comes together in less than 15 minutes
Ingredients you'll need
- ripe avocado
- lemon juice or lime juice: to prevent the avocado from turning brown too quickly
- flaky sea salt
- black pepper
- sourdough bread or country loaf bread: you can also use bagels, whole wheat bread, or even shokupan milk bread
Optional: chili oil, sesame seeds
How to make avocado toast
Run a sharp knife along the avocado until it reaches the pit.
Twist the avocado in half.
Remove the pit with a sharp knife.
Use a spoon to scoop out the avocado flesh into a small bowl.
Add in lemon juice, salt and pepper to your taste.
Mash the avocado with a fork, until it reaches your preferred consistency.
In the meantime, place slices of sourdough into the toaster oven.
Spread the avocado mixture evenly over the toast.
Finish with additional flaky sea salt.
Add a drizzle of chili oil, sesame seeds, and enjoy.
Feel free to change it up with these avocado toast variations. Try adding:
- smoked salmon: lox, or gravlax, in a style similar to smoked salmon bagels
- fresh herbs: such as fresh basil, cilantro, dill, green onions/scallions
- salsa/pico de gallo
- egg: soft-boiled, sunny side up or poached egg; or even leftover Korean mayak eggs
- veggies: cherry/sliced tomatoes, sliced cucumber, red onions, caramelized onion jam
- cooked bacon/ham
- microgreens or sprouts
- bagel seasoning/red pepper flakes
- chili oil or hot sauce
- Japanese furikake seasoning: consisting of seaweed and sesame seeds
- fried garlic/shallot
- sesame seeds
- toasted cumin seeds
What to pair with avocado toast
Other delicious breakfast recipes you may like
Be sure to check out these recipes:
Let me know if you try out this recipe -- tag me on Instagram @siftandsimmer or leave me a comment/rating below!
Easy Avocado Toast
For accuracy and precision in baking recipes, use weight (metric) measurements when available.
- ½ ripe avocado peel and pit removed
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 slice bread sourdough, country loaf, toasted
- chili oil
- sesame seeds
- Run a sharp knife along the avocado until it reaches the pit.
- Twist the avocado in half.
- Remove the pit with a sharp knife.
- Use a spoon to scoop out the avocado flesh into a small bowl.
- Add in lemon juice, salt and pepper to your taste.
- Mash the avocado with a fork, until it reaches your preferred consistency.
- In the meantime, place slices of sourdough into the toaster oven.
- Spread the avocado mixture evenly over the toast.
- Finish with additional flaky sea salt.
- Add a drizzle of chili oil, sesame seeds, and enjoy.
The nutritional information provided should be considered as approximate and is not guaranteed. Please use your best judgment to ensure food is safely prepared and/or a good fit for your diet.