These Mala Tater Tots are a quick and easy way to kick up crispy potatoes with a flavourful, numbing spice mix. Enjoy this Asian fusion spin on tater tots as a snack or appetizer!
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email & I'll send it to your inbox. Plus, get great new recipes from me every week!
Why you'll love this recipe
This recipe is an easy and flavourful way to spice up regular potato tater tots.
These Mala Tater Tots are delicious as an appetizer or snack.
It's ready in about 30 minutes.
And you'll only need a few ingredients to whip it up.
Ingredients you'll need
- tater tots: are little morsels of grated potato that have been fried or baked; you can use homemade tots, or a pre-packaged tater tot
- vegetable oil: just a little to sauté the minced garlic and chili
- garlic: minced
- red Thai chili: minced finely; add to your liking -- if you like it spicy, add more; if not, omit
- mala spice mix: a combination of spices including Sichuan peppercorn and red chili that flavour these tater tots
- green onions: chopped
- cilantro: chopped
How to make it
Bake the tater tots according to the package directions.
In the meantime, heat up a frying pan over medium heat and add in 1 tablespoon vegetable oil.
Add in the minced garlic and chili (if using). Sauté for about 2 minutes, until aromatic.
Remove from heat and set aside.
Once the tater tots are crisp, remove from the oven.
Transfer the tater tots to the frying pan and gently toss with the garlic and chili mixture.
Sprinkle in about 2 tablespoon of mala spice mix over the tater tots and continue to toss until all coated evenly.
Add chopped green onion and cilantro (optional) and serve immediately.
How to serve
Serve the Mala Tater Tots immediately.
Double the batch to serve a crowd.
They would be great as an appetizer for parties, entertaining, or game night.
Some suggestions to pair the tater tots with:
How to store & reheat
If you have any leftovers, store the Mala Tater Tots covered up in the fridge.
Reheat the tater tots in a preheated 350F oven for about 15 minutes, until warm and crisp.
Note: watch for the minced garlic that it doesn't burn during reheating.
FAQs & expert tips
How to make sure the tater tots stay crispy?
To ensure crispy tater tots, use a large baking tray and evenly space out the tater tots.
Bake for 20 minutes or longer, depending on your oven.
Rotate the tater tots halfway through.
Can I add the minced garlic and chili to the tater tots in the oven?
No, the garlic will burn in the oven.
It's best to toss the tater tots with the garlic mixture in a frying pan.
Can I make this recipe in an air fryer?
Yes, you can make the tater tots in an air fryer and finish tossing with the garlic, chili and spices in the frying pan.
Other recipes you may like
You may also like these recipes:
Let me know if you try out this recipe -- tag me on Instagram @siftandsimmer or leave me a comment/rating below!
Mala Tater Tots
For accuracy and precision in baking recipes, use weight (metric) measurements when available.
- 454 g (1 lb) tater tots
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 red Thai chili minced finlely
- 2 tablespoon Mala spice mix
- 2 green onions chopped
- 2 tablespoon cilantro chopped
- Bake the tater tots in the oven according to the package directions.
- In the meantime, heat up a frying pan over medium heat and add in 1 tablespoon vegetable oil.
- Add in the minced garlic and chili (if using). Sauté for about 2 minutes, until aromatic.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Once the tater tots are crisp, remove from the oven.
- Transfer the tater tots to the frying pan and gently toss with the garlic and chili mixture.
- Sprinkle in about 2 tablespoon of mala spice mix over the tater tots and continue to toss until all coated evenly.
- Add chopped green onion and cilantro (optional) and serve immediately.
The nutritional information provided should be considered as approximate and is not guaranteed. Please use your best judgment to ensure food is safely prepared and/or a good fit for your diet.