This easy and delicious recipe for Waffle Turkey Sandwich features fluffy buttermilk waffles, slices of turkey deli meat, and mixed greens topped with an egg. It's a fun way to enjoy waffles in a savoury manner.
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by the Turkey Farmers of Canada. All images and opinions expressed are solely my own.
On weekends, I love whipping up a batch of buttermilk waffles for brunch.
On a whim, my kids suggested that I should make sandwiches out of them.
And the result?
These kid-approved Waffle Turkey Sandwiches.
Why you'll love this recipe
You can enjoy the buttermilk waffles as is, or in these delicious Waffle Turkey Sandwiches.
Making the buttermilk waffles is really simple and straightforward.
The batter can be made in one bowl!
This recipe comes together in 20 minutes.
They're great for lunch, brunch, or even dinner.
I use a secret ingredient to help keep the waffles nice and crisp.
Tools you'll need
In order to make the waffles, you'll need:
- waffle maker: you can use a waffle maker or waffle iron
- mixing bowl: to make the waffle batter
- spatula: I like using a silicone spatula to easily combine the ingredients
- whisk: a metal whisk can help to easily incorporate the batter
To make the buttermilk waffles, you'll need:
- large egg: beaten
- melted butter: slightly cooled; or vegetable oil + extra for greasing the waffle iron/maker
- buttermilk: if you don't have buttermilk on hand, use whole milk with 1 tablespoon of white vinegar mixed together
- granulated sugar: adds a touch of sweetness to balance the tang from the buttermilk
- sea salt
- baking powder: acts as a leavener and helps keep the waffles fluffy
- baking soda: reacts with the buttermilk (acid) and keeps the waffles light and fluffy
- all-purpose flour: regular flour will be fine for this recipe
- potato starch: the secret ingredient that helps keep the waffles crisp
For the sandwiches:
- turkey deli meat: 2 slices per waffle sandwich
- eggs: cooked however you like
- lettuce/mixed greens
How to make it
In a large mixing bowl, combine the egg, melted butter, buttermilk, sugar and salt. Give it a whisk.
Sift in the baking powder, baking soda, all-purpose flour and potato starch.
Gently fold the batter with a spatula, until just combined. Be careful not to overmix.
Heat up a waffle iron/maker over medium-high heat.
Scoop about ¼ C of batter into each quarter of the waffle maker (if using a round waffle maker).
Close the waffle iron/maker and let it cook for 4-5 minutes, until golden brown.
Remove the waffle and place onto a wire rack to cool.
Repeat with the remaining waffle batter.
Cut each waffle into 4.
Take 2 waffle pieces and assemble into sandwiches with slices of turkey deli meat, eggs, and lettuce/mixed greens.
How to store
Store the buttermilk waffles in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 day.
You can also freeze the waffles for up to 1 month.
For optimal texture, it's best to assemble the sandwiches just prior to serving.
However, you can store assembled sandwiches covered in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Note: waffles will lose their crispness.
How to reheat
Simply reheat the waffles in a toaster oven or conventional oven, until warmed through and the exterior is crisp again.
Feel free to fill the waffle sandwich with whatever you like.
- sliced tomatoes
- slices of turkey bacon
- sundried tomatoes
- roasted bell peppers
- caramelized onion jam
Other recipes you may like
You may also be interested in:
Be sure to let me know if you try out this recipe -- tag me on Instagram @siftandsimmer or leave me a comment/rating below!
Waffle Turkey Sandwich
For accuracy and precision in baking recipes, use weight (metric) measurements when available.
- 1 large egg beaten
- 2 tablespoon melted butter slightly cooled, or vegetable oil + extra for greasing the waffle iron/maker
- 1 C buttermilk or whole milk + 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 C all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon potato starch
- 8 slices deli turkey meat
- 4 eggs cooked however you like
- 1 C lettuce/mixed greens
Make the buttermilk waffles:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the egg, melted butter, buttermilk, sugar and salt. Give it a whisk.
- Sift in the baking powder, baking soda, all-purpose flour and potato starch.
- Gently fold the batter with a spatula, until just combined. Be careful not to overmix.
- Heat up a waffle iron/maker over medium-high heat. Carefully grease the waffle maker with a little melted butter/oil.
- Scoop about ¼ C of batter into each quarter of the waffle maker (if using a round waffle maker).
- Close the waffle iron/maker and let it cook for 4-5 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove the waffle and place onto a wire rack to cool.
- Repeat with the remaining waffle batter.
- Cut each waffle into 4 quarters.
- Take 2 waffle pieces and assemble into sandwiches with 2 slices of turkey deli meat, egg, and lettuce/mixed greens. Repeat with the remainder.
- Enjoy immediately.
The nutritional information provided should be considered as approximate and is not guaranteed. Please use your best judgment to ensure food is safely prepared and/or a good fit for your diet.