These Turkey & Cheese Puff Pastry Roll Ups are a delicious baked appetizer that involves only 5 ingredients. Cheesy, crispy, and savoury, they're great as an anytime snack!
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by the Turkey Farmers of Canada. All images and opinions expressed are solely my own.
My little one starts Kindergarten this September.
He's been eager to go to school for quite some time now. And I feel bad since he's seen his older brother in school, making friends, interacting with teachers.
There's still uncertainty about how school is going to look next month, however, we've been trying out different foods that he can eat from his lunchbox.
I'm thrilled to introduce my latest recipe in partnership with the Turkey Farmers of Canada.
These Turkey & Cheese Puff Pastry Roll Ups are super easy to make, and they're a crowd-pleaser.
One of the struggles I find with packing lunch for my kids is that (at least with my eldest), the food always comes back home.
My son tells me that there's never enough time to eat (which is true, though I know secretly it's because they want to go outside to play).
The upside to being home during the pandemic? They kids have been eating their lunches every single day!
I tested these Turkey & Cheese Puff Pastry Roll Ups with the kids as a mock lunch for my youngest, and they both cleaned out their lunchboxes.
Simple to make
With only 5 ingredients, this might be the easiest lunch you'll ever make.
You could even have your kids help you make them. It's that simple!
Only 5 ingredients
- puff pastry (defrosted from frozen)
- deli turkey meat
- cheese (your choice)
- grainy mustard
- chopped chives
Working with puff pastry
Puff pastry is the base for these roll ups. It can be time-consuming to make puff pastry from scratch, so store-bought will work just fine.
You can find puff pastry in the frozen section of your grocery store, close to where they keep pie shells.
It's important to keep the pastry chilled. The layers of butter worked in the dough produces the flakiness and "puff" in puff pastry.
Just be sure to defrost the puff pastry in the fridge the night before you want to make the roll ups.
How to make the turkey roll ups
Preheat your oven to 400F. We want a hot oven and a chilled dough to produce puff.
On a floured work surface, roll out the puff pastry to about 9" by 12" in size with a rolling pin.
Spread the grainy mustard onto the pastry.
Layer on the cheese and deli turkey meat.
Roll it up lengthwise, and cut into 12 equal portions.
Place them cut-side down onto a baking sheet and freeze for 15 minutes.
Bake for 17-20 minutes, until golden brown.
Sprinkle with chives and serve warm.
Versatile & delicious
These Turkey & Cheese roll ups are incredibly tasty and look like you put in a lot of effort (when you actually haven't!) 😉
Serve the roll ups warm or at room temperature.
Pack them as part of a kids' lunch or serve them as an appetizer. Either way, they will be bound to disappear.
Other turkey recipes you may like
If you liked this recipe, you may like:
Let me know if you try out these Turkey & Cheese Puff Pastry Roll Ups. Tag me on Instagram @siftandsimmer or leave me a comment/rating below!
Turkey & Cheese Puff Pastry Roll Ups
For accuracy and precision in baking recipes, use weight (metric) measurements when available.
- 1 (255g) sheet of puff pastry, defrosted
- 2 tablespoon grainy mustard
- 3 slices cheese, shredded havarti or any type you like
- 6 slices deli turkey meat
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- Preheat oven to 400°F/204°C.
- On a well-floured surface, roll out the puff pastry dough to about 9" by 12" in diameter.
- Spread 2 tablespoons of grainy mustard over the surface of the dough.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese over top.
- Layer on the sliced deli turkey meat.
- Tightly roll up the puff pastry lengthwise (as if you're making a cinnamon bun).
- Using a sharp knife, cut into 12 even portions.
- Place the cut side facing up, exposing the turkey and cheese onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Chill the tray in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Brush the tops of the puff pastry with lightly beaten egg (egg wash) and bake at 400°F/204°C for 17-20 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, garnish with chopped chives and serve.
The nutritional information provided should be considered as approximate and is not guaranteed. Please use your best judgment to ensure food is safely prepared and/or a good fit for your diet.