These Five-Spice Turkey Green Onion Pancake Rolls are made with seasoned turkey meat, tucked into a crisp green onion pancake with fresh cucumber and cilantro.
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by the Turkey Farmers of Canada. All images and opinions expressed are solely my own.
I hope you had a good Thanksgiving!
It was nice having a little break from all our activities and school!
When I lived in Edmonton, my in-laws would celebrate Thanksgiving with the classic turkey, mashed potatoes, and ALL the sides.
Family would trickle over and we'd begin eating at lunch time and right into the evening.
There were years that we'd gather outside in the snow to deep fry turkey.
And yes, deep fried turkey is so delicious! It was one of the best turkeys I've ever tasted.
Since it's just my husband, kids and I in Vancouver -- we usually celebrate Thanksgiving on a much smaller scale.
My husband is a traditionalist in the sense that there must be turkey at Thanksgiving.
So this year, I decided to put a spin on traditional turkey and make my Five-Spice Turkey Green Onion Pancake Rolls.
Extra turkey meat from Thanksgiving makes this an easy and delicious way to use up those turkey leftovers.
Cut up, these rolls are great as an appetizer, or if you have a hearty appetite, enjoy it as a "burrito" of sorts.
What is five-spice?
Five-spice is a mixture of 5 spices used classically in Chinese cooking, especially for flavouring meats.
It usually consists of:
- star anise
- Sichuan peppercorn
- fennel seeds
It may contain additional spices such as ginger and nutmeg. You can usually find it in Asian grocery stores or supermarkets.
These savoury Five-Spice Turkey Green Onion Pancake Rolls consists of turkey meat seasoned with Chinese five-spice, tucked into a freshly made, hot and crisp green onion pancake, slathered with hoisin sauce and rolled up with cucumber and cilantro.
There's a little effort involved in making the Green Onion Pancakes, but it comes together relatively easily.
Otherwise, you can use store-bought green onion pancakes -- just cook them according to the package instructions.
Other recipes you may like
Edmonton/Donut-Style Green Onion Pancakes
Turkey & Cheese Puff Pastry Roll Ups
Green Onion Pancake Beef Rolls 牛肉捲餅 (Instant Pot)
Let me know if you try out this recipe! I'd love to see your creations. Tag me on Instagram @siftandsimmer or leave me a comment/rating below.
Five-Spice Turkey Green Onion Pancake Rolls
For accuracy and precision in baking recipes, use weight (metric) measurements when available.
- ¾ C cooked, shredded turkey meat (leftovers are great!)
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon white pepper
- ½ teaspoon Chinese Five-spice powder
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- ½ cucumber thinly sliced
- a few sprigs cilantro
- 3 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 3 green onion pancakes
- Place the cooked, shredded turkey meat into a large bowl. Ensure all bones are removed.
- Sprinkle ½ teaspoon five-spice powder over top of the turkey meat. Add sea salt and white pepper. Drizzle sesame oil on top and mix to incorporate the seasoning. Set aside.
- Prepare green onion pancakes as per recipe (or package instructions if using store-bought).
- Line a wooden cutting board with paper towel. Remove the cooked green onion pancake and lay it on top of the paper towel.
- Brush 1 tablespoon of hoisin sauce on top of the hot green onion pancake, place about ¼ C of turkey meat and some cucumbers and cilantro in the bottom 3rd of the pancake.
- Carefully tuck and roll the pancake tightly using the paper towel (like you're rolling a burrito). Let it sit for a minute or two before removing the paper towel. Repeat with the remaining.
- Slice into rolls with a sharp, serrated knife and serve immediately with additional hoisin sauce if desired.
The nutritional information provided should be considered as approximate and is not guaranteed. Please use your best judgment to ensure food is safely prepared and/or a good fit for your diet.
Leave a Reply