These BBQ Turkey Quesadillas are flour tortillas filled with lean turkey meat, red bell peppers and caramelized onions in a smoky BBQ sauce, topped with mozzarella cheese. They’re grilled over the BBQ for additional smoky flavour.
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by the Turkey Farmers of Canada. All images and opinions expressed are solely my own.
My favourite way to enjoy tortillas is in a quesadilla.
I’ve said it before, but I need to reiterate it here.
It’s actually one of the first dishes I learned to make in my Foods class when I was in grade 8.
What is a quesadilla?
Originating from Mexico, a quesadilla consists of a tortilla filled usually with meat and cheese.
The tortilla can be folded in half, or a full tortilla can be placed onto another tortilla.
Traditionally, corn tortillas are used, but you can also use flour tortillas.
It is then cooked over a griddle or stove top.
Ingredients you’ll need
- flour tortillas: you can use corn tortillas in place of flour tortillas; I used a large 8″ tortilla, but you can use medium sized ones as well
- red bell pepper: diced; you can use green bell pepper if you like
- green onion: chopped
- turkey slices: I used lean cooked turkey slices and diced them into pieces
- caramelized onion jam: if you don’t have onion jam, you can use add some sliced onions and gently sauté with the diced turkey
- BBQ sauce: use any BBQ sauce that you have on hand
- shredded cheese: you can use whatever melty cheese you like; oaxaca, mozzarella, pepper jack, or Monterey jack would go well.
How to make it
Heat a frying pan over medium heat.
Add 1 Tbsp of vegetable oil to the pan and add in the red bell pepper, green onion and chopped turkey slices.
Sauté for about 1-2 minutes, until the ingredients are warmed through.
Remove from heat.
Add in 2 Tbsp of BBQ sauce to the turkey mixture and stir with a spoon to coat evenly.
Warm a large 8″ flour tortilla in the microwave (about 20 seconds).
Add a handful of cheese to half of the tortilla.
Top with half of the turkey mixture.
Add about 2 Tbsp of caramelized onion jam.
Add another handful of cheese on top of the onion jam and fold the tortilla in half. Press firmly to close.
How to BBQ the quesadillas
Heat the BBQ to 350F.
Then, add the quesadilla to the grill and cook for about 2-3 minutes per side, until cheese melts.
Remove quesadilla from the grill.
Cut quesadilla into wedges with a sharp knife and serve.
How to serve & store
Serve the BBQ Turkey Quesadillas while warm.
It’s best with a little sour cream, guacamole and salsa on the side.
I like to pair my quesadillas with a side salad, or a soup.
These quesadillas are great for lunch or even for dinner.
You can store cooked leftover quesadillas in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Alternatively, you can freeze quesadillas for up to 3 months.
How to reheat
To reheat, place the quesadillas into a dry frying pan over medium heat.
Cook until the quesadillas are warmed through, flipping once halfway.
You can also place the quesadillas into the oven and bake at 350F for 10-12 minutes.
FAQs & Substitutions
Can I use corn tortillas?
Yes, you can use corn tortillas in place of the flour tortillas.
Do I have to BBQ the tortillas?
No, you can make these on the stove top by cooking them on a frying pan or griddle.
What if I don’t have BBQ sauce?
You can try using a hot sauce instead.
Other recipes you may like
Let me know if you try out this recipe — tag me on Instagram @siftandsimmer or leave me a comment/rating below.
BBQ Turkey Quesadillas
For accuracy and precision in baking recipes, use weight (metric) measurements when available.
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ red bell pepper diced finely
- 2 stalks green onion diced
- 150 g cooked turkey breast slices diced
- 2 Tbsp BBQ sauce
- 2 large 8" flour tortillas
- 100 g shredded cheese eg. mozzarella, Monterey jack, pepper jack
- 4 Tbsp caramelized onion jam
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat.
- Add 1 Tbsp of vegetable oil to the pan and add in the red bell pepper, green onion and chopped turkey slices.
- Sauté for about 1-2 minutes, until the ingredients are warmed through.
- Remove from heat.
- Add in 2 Tbsp of BBQ sauce to the turkey mixture and stir with a spoon to coat evenly.
- Warm a large 8" flour tortilla in the microwave (about 20 seconds).
- Add a handful of cheese to the bottom half of the tortilla.
- Top with half of the turkey mixture.
- Add about 2 Tbsp of caramelized onion jam.
- Add another handful of cheese on top of the onion jam and fold the tortilla in half. Press firmly to close.
- Repeat with the remaining tortilla.
- Heat the BBQ to 350°F/177°C.
- Add the quesadillas to the grill and cook for about 2-3 minutes per side, until cheese melts.
- Remove quesadillas from the grill.
- Cut quesadillas into wedges with a sharp knife and serve.
The nutritional information provided should be considered as approximate and is not guaranteed. Please use your best judgment to ensure food is safely prepared and/or a good fit for your diet.