This recipe for Easy Quesadillas is super quick and easy to make. Fill tortillas with your favorite protein, shredded cheese, enclose and heat until golden brown and just crisp.
What is a quesadilla?
Originating from Mexico, a quesadilla is comprised of a corn or flour tortilla filled with cheese, which is then cooked on a stovetop or griddle.
The fillings can differ and encompass meat such as pulled pork or ground beef, beans, vegetables, and various types of cheese.
Why you'll love this recipe
This recipe for quesadillas is really simple and straightforward, and you can feel free to jazz it up however you like.
It makes one large quesadilla, but you can easily batch up and make more as needed.
Easy and simple: just assemble the ingredients in between tortillas and press over a hot pan.
Time saver: great for weeknight meals, kids' lunches or a hearty snack.
Freezer-friendly: make a large batch and freeze quesadillas for easy, quick meals, perfect for weeknights.
Versatile: easily swap the protein or cheese and use what you have to whip up a quesadilla.
Ingredients you'll need
- flour tortillas: you can also use corn tortillas, or a corn and flour blended tortilla; any size will work, however if you're making smaller 6" rounds, you may want to stack the tortillas rather than fold them in half, which I find work better with the larger 8"+ ones
- shredded cheese: you can any type or blend of cheese; a Mexican blend of Monterey jack, cheddar, and colby is great
- meat filling: you can use ground beef, pulled pork, chicken, or swap for tofu/beans/veggies if you don't eat meat
- refried bean: optional, but I like adding it as it helps stick the meat filling in place (and beans are healthy!)
You can find these ingredients at your local grocery store.
How to make quesadillas
Heat a dry frying pan or skillet over medium heat.
Add a tortilla to the pan and let it warm up for about 30 seconds.
Spread 1 tablespoon of refried bean onto one half of the tortilla.
Add shredded cheese onto the entire surface of the tortilla.
Place the meat filling on the same half as the refried bean.
Use a spatula to fold over the tortilla in half (into a half-moon shape) and press down firmly to seal.
Let the tortilla become golden brown and slightly crisp on one side and flip.
Continue to cook for another 1-2 minutes, until the cheese is melted.
Cut up the quesadilla and serve with sour cream, salsa or pico de gallo, and guacamole.
Using 2 tortillas
If you are using smaller tortillas (6" and smaller), add tortilla to the frying pan.
Spread the refried bean onto the entire surface of the tortilla.
Add the shredded cheese and meat.
Cover with another tortilla and cook until golden brown on the first side before carefully flipping and cooking on the other side.
How to serve
Serve quesadillas with sour cream, salsa/pico de gallo, or guacamole.
How to store
Store any leftover quesadillas in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Individually wrap cooled quesadillas in aluminum foil and place into a freezer-safe bag. Store for up to 3 months.
How to reheat quesadillas
Warm up quesadillas in a dry frying pan over medium heat, or microwave for 1 minute, or until hot.
To reheat from frozen, leave quesadilla in the aluminum foil and bake at 350F for 10-12 minutes, or until warmed through.
Or remove foil, cover the quesadilla with a lightly damp paper towel and microwave for 1-2 minutes, or until heated through.
FAQs & expert tips
Why fold over the tortilla vs. use 2 tortillas?
I find folding the tortilla is much easier to manage than having to flip over a large tortilla.
Ratio of ingredients:
Using equal parts of cheese and protein/filling will ensure that the quesadilla stays sealed.
Tip: you can assemble the quesadilla on a work surface and then carefully transfer to the hot pan, or you can assemble right in the pan (if you prefer less dishes - but be careful, the pan is hot).
Other Mexican-inspired recipes you may like
Be sure to check out these recipes:
Let me know if you try out this recipe -- tag me on Instagram @siftandsimmer or leave me a comment/rating below!
For accuracy and precision in baking recipes, use weight (metric) measurements when available.
- 1 flour or corn tortilla I used 8"
- 1 tablespoon refried bean
- ¼ C shredded cheese Mexican blend
- ¼ C meat filling pulled pork, ground beef
- sour cream
- salsa/pico de gallo
- white onion chopped
- cilantro chopped
- serrano or jalapeno chili optional
- Heat a dry frying pan or skillet over medium heat.
- Add a tortilla to the pan and let it warm up for about 30 seconds.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of refried bean onto one half of the tortilla.
- Add shredded cheese onto the entire surface of the tortilla.
- Place the meat filling on the same half as the refried bean.
- Use a spatula to fold over the tortilla in half (into a half-moon shape) and press down firmly to seal.
- Let the tortilla become golden brown and slightly crisp on one side and flip.
- Continue to cook for another 1-2 minutes, until the cheese is melted.
- Cut up the quesadilla and serve with sour cream, salsa or pico de gallo, and guacamole.
The nutritional information provided should be considered as approximate and is not guaranteed. Please use your best judgment to ensure food is safely prepared and/or a good fit for your diet.