Lately I’ve been experimenting with some savoury applications of matcha, and before you say anything, hear me out.
Matcha Cumin Salt.
FIRST, WHAT IS MATCHA SALT?
Matcha salt is known as “matcha jio” in Japan.
If you haven’t had matcha salt, you’ll be surprised to know that it imparts an umami flavour to lots of different foods.
Matcha salt pairs well with foods such as potatoes, tofu, or fish.
Or basically anything with a “plain” canvas.
WHAT IS MATCHA CUMIN SALT?
I’ve taken this matcha salt and simply added ground cumin to it.
There’s only 3 ingredients in this seasoning:
- matcha: for this application, I would use a high-quality culinary grade matcha
- cumin powder: freshly ground cumin will have the best flavour
- salt: you can use any salt that you like (except for coarse pickling salt); I prefer flaked sea salt
Mix all the ingredients together in a small bowl.
WHAT IS CUMIN?
Cumin is a seed that has a distinctive taste and fragrant aroma.
It is used commonly in South Asian and Mexican cooking as a flavouring spice.
WHAT DOES MATCHA SALT TASTE LIKE?
Matcha on its own has an earthy, grassy taste.
Paired with salt, the matcha has a savoury flavour.
Adding cumin to the matcha salt complements the grassiness in matcha as cumin has an earthy flavour.
IDEAS ON HOW TO PAIR THE MATCHA SALT
For some ideas on how to pair the matcha salt, try it:
- sprinkled on roasted potatoes
- on the surface of seared salmon
- as a seasoning for baked tofu
- in a curry
Personally, I love it on my Crispy Falafel Waffles.
HOW TO STORE MATCHA SALT
Store the matcha cumin salt in a glass air-tight container at room temperature, away from light.
I choose to store in glass as cumin can impart a strong odor.
Matcha salt can be stored for up to 3 months.
For a new way to spice up your savoury flavours, try adding Matcha Salt!
OTHER RECIPES YOU MAY LIKE
Matcha Cumin Salt will give a new dimension of flavour to your food that you wish you had tried earlier!
Have you tried matcha in a savoury dish?
Give it a try, and let me know what you put it on. Tag me @siftandsimmer on Instagram or leave a comment below.
Matcha Cumin Salt
- ½ Tbsp flaked sea salt or fleur de sel
- 1 tsp culinary grade matcha
- 1 tsp freshly ground cumin
- Combine all of the ingredients in a small container. Mix together.
- Store the matcha cumin salt in an glass container away from light for up to 3 months. Use as you would with salt.