This Matcha Cumin Salt recipe is a delicious way to flavour foods using green tea. Pair the salt with foods like fish, tofu, or potatoes for an umami kick.
Lately I've been experimenting with some savoury applications of matcha, and before you say anything, hear me out.
Matcha Cumin Salt.
What is matcha salt?
Matcha salt is known as "matcha jio" in Japan.
If you haven't had matcha salt, you'll be surprised to know that it imparts an umami flavour to lots of different foods.
Or basically anything with a "plain" canvas.
Why you'll love this recipe
I've taken this matcha salt and simply added ground cumin to it.
It's simple to whip up, with ingredients you may already have in your pantry.
There's only 3 ingredients in this seasoning:
- matcha: for this application, I would use a high-quality culinary grade matcha
- cumin powder: freshly ground cumin will have the best flavour
- salt: you can use any salt that you like (except for coarse pickling salt); I prefer flaked sea salt
Mix all the ingredients together in a small bowl and store in an airtight container.
What is cumin?
Cumin is a seed that has a distinctive taste and fragrant aroma.
It is used commonly in South Asian and Mexican cooking as a flavouring spice.
What does it taste like
Matcha on its own has an earthy, grassy taste.
Paired with salt, the matcha has a savoury flavour.
Adding cumin to the matcha salt complements the grassiness in matcha as cumin has an earthy flavour.
Ways to use it
For some ideas on how to pair the matcha salt, try it:
- sprinkled on roasted potatoes
- on the surface of seared salmon
- as a seasoning for baked tofu
- in a curry
Personally, I love it on my Crispy Falafel Waffles.
How to store
Store the matcha cumin salt in a glass air-tight container at room temperature, away from light.
I choose to store in glass as cumin can impart a strong odor.
Matcha salt can be stored for up to 3 months.
For a new way to spice up your savoury flavours, try adding Matcha Salt!
Other recipes you may like
Matcha Cumin Salt will give a new dimension of flavour to your food that you wish you had tried earlier!
Have you tried matcha in a savoury dish?
Give it a try, and let me know what you put it on. Tag me @siftandsimmer on Instagram or leave a comment/rating below.
Matcha Cumin Salt
For accuracy and precision in baking recipes, use weight (metric) measurements when available.
- ½ tablespoon flaked sea salt or fleur de sel
- 1 teaspoon culinary grade matcha
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground cumin
- Combine all of the ingredients in a small container. Mix together.
- Store the matcha cumin salt in an glass container away from light for up to 3 months. Use as you would with salt.
The nutritional information provided should be considered as approximate and is not guaranteed. Please use your best judgment to ensure food is safely prepared and/or a good fit for your diet.