This recipe for Matcha Chia Seed Pudding gives you a delicious green tea boost that is perfect for mornings. A few ingredients and you've got a delicious and nutritious snack or breakfast.
This first appeared on Sift & Simmer in July 2018. Updated February 2022.
What are chia seeds?
Chia seeds are edible seeds that have tiny oval-shaped black and white spots.
They are hygroscopic, which mean that they absorb liquid, and produce a gel-like texture when soaked.
Chia are packed with vitamins and minerals, anti-oxidants and protein.
What do chia seeds taste like?
Chia has a neutral taste.
Its texture is crunchy when it is not soaked, however, when chia seeds are soaked in liquid, it swells and develops a gel-like coating, somewhat similar to tapioca pudding.
It is quite reminiscent to basil seeds, although basil seeds are larger in size.
Why you'll love this recipe
This Matcha Chia Seed Pudding recipe is so quick and easy to prepare, really!
There's only a few ingredients!
Just stir together chia seeds, milk, matcha and you're pretty much there.
Make it the night before and let it sit overnight in the fridge for the easiest grab and go breakfast.
Easily make it plant-based/vegan by opting for non-dairy milk.
This Matcha Chia Seed Pudding can fill you up and last you all morning, especially when you top it off with fruit, nuts and seeds.
Ingredients you'll need
- chia seeds: they can come in black or white; I'm using black chia seeds here
- milk of your choice: I use oat milk, but you can use whatever milk or non-dairy alternative
- matcha: use a high-grade quality matcha powder for the best flavour
- vanilla extract: add a little touch of vanilla for extra flavour
- sweetener: if you prefer your chia pudding to be sweeter, you can use maple syrup, honey, agave or any sweetener of your choice
How to prepare
Add chia seeds into a jar.
Add in milk and matcha powder.
Give everything a stir with a spoon (or add a lid and gently shake).
Cover and place it into the fridge overnight.
If you don't want to wait overnight, the chia seeds will bloom in about 20 minutes.
Add more liquid to make the chia a little more of a looser texture, or decrease the amount of liquid to make the chia pudding more firm.
Easily double the recipe to make more.
How to store & serve
Store the Matcha Chia Seed Pudding in the fridge until ready to serve.
You can serve the chia seed pudding at room temperature or chilled.
Chia seed pudding can last for up to 3 days in the fridge, so you can make it ahead of time.
You can freeze small batches of chia pudding for up to 1 month.
Remove the chia pudding from the freezer and defrost in the fridge overnight.
Optional add ins
To switch it up, try adding in various flavours, nuts and fruits:
- vanilla extract
- lemon zest
- sweetener: honey, maple syrup, agave, date syrup
- coconut flakes
- yogurt: or non-dairy alternative
- chocolate/cocoa nibs
- fruit: strawberries, berries, apple
- nuts: almonds, walnut, pecans
- seeds: pumpkin, sesame, flax, hemp
Other recipes you may like
Be sure to check out these recipes:
If you're looking to change up your breakfast routine from your regular oatmeal, try making this Matcha Chia Seed Pudding.
Let me know if you try out this recipe -- tag me on Instagram @siftandsimmer or leave me a comment/rating below!
Matcha Chia Seed Pudding
For accuracy and precision in baking recipes, use weight (metric) measurements when available.
- 2 tablespoon chia seeds
- ½ C milk or non-dairy alternative of your choice
- 2 teaspoon matcha
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoon honey, maple syrup, agave (sweetener)
- Add chia seeds, milk, and matcha into a jar.
- If adding vanilla extract and sweetener, add it in.
- Give everything a stir with a spoon (or add a lid and gently shake).
- Cover and place into the fridge overnight (or at least 20 minutes)
- Give it a stir and add in your favourite toppings, such as fruit, nuts, seeds.
The nutritional information provided should be considered as approximate and is not guaranteed. Please use your best judgment to ensure food is safely prepared and/or a good fit for your diet.