These fun and cute Chicken Parmesan Sliders are a great way to use up leftover chicken tenders by pairing them with toasted ciabatta buns and fresh basil.
What is chicken parmesan?
Chicken parmesan, also referred to as chicken parm, is an Italian dish featuring tender, breaded chicken breast that's been flattened and crisped, then garnished with tomato sauce, melted mozzarella, and parmesan cheese.
It's typically served with pasta, but we're changing it up and serving them on mini ciabatta rolls in this delicious variation.
Why you'll love this recipe
This recipe for Chicken Parm Sliders is:
Simple to make: these sandwiches are not only cute, but easy to make.
A great way to use up leftovers: if you have extra chicken parmesan on hand, this is a delicious way to minimize food waste.
Delicious: the crispy chicken tenders paired with the savory tomato sauce and cheese are full of umami flavor.
Kid-friendly: these sandwiches hold up well at room temperature and are great for kid lunches.
Fun: their mini size makes them suitable for potlucks, parties, or any celebration.
Ingredients you'll need
- breaded chicken tenders: or crispy chicken strips
- slider buns: I used ciabatta rolls, but you can use mini hamburger buns
- marinara sauce: I used jarred, but you can use homemade passata
- parmesan cheese: grated
- mozzarella cheese: or any good melty cheese, such as Havarti or provolone; I used a spicy Havarti cheese here
- fresh basil leaves: you can leave them whole, or chop them
You can find these ingredients at your local grocery store.
How to make easy chicken parmesan sliders
Prepare the chicken:
Bake the chicken tenders according to the package directions.
About 5 minutes prior to the end cooking time, remove the chicken from the oven.
Sprinkle grated parmesan cheese over each chicken.
Spoon 1 tablespoon of tomato sauce on top of each chicken and add mozzarella cheese.
Return the chicken to the oven and finish baking.
Remove from oven.
Lightly toast slider buns in the warm oven for 3-5 minutes.
Split the buns in half.
Spoon a layer of tomato sauce to the bottom half of the slider buns.
Place the baked chicken parm on top.
Add a few fresh basil leaves, and cover with the top half of the bun.
How to serve
Serve the chicken parm sandwiches immediately.
How to store
Store cooled leftover sandwiches in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
How to reheat
You can reheat the chicken parm (without the bread) in the oven or in an air fryer at 350F for 10-15 minutes, until warm and crispy.
Otherwise, you can microwave the sandwich for 30-45 seconds, until warmed through.
Note: you'll lose the crispiness of the chicken when you microwave the sandwich.
For a gluten-free version, use gluten-free breaded chicken strips and gluten-free buns.
To make a caprese-style variation, use fresh buffalo mozzarella or bocconcini and add sliced tomatoes to the sandwich.
FAQs & expert tips
Can I use chicken nuggets?
You can use chicken nuggets if you like.
Depending on how large or small your slider buns are, you may need to use a few nuggets for each sandwich.
Can I make a larger batch?
Of course, you can scale up the recipe to make more, which would be great for potlucks or parties.
Can I make my own chicken parmesan?
Sure, you can use this recipe for turkey katsu and substitute the turkey with chicken.
Tip: If you're using a jarred tomato sauce, you can add Italian seasoning and a little garlic powder and onion powder to the sauce to give it additional flavor.
For spicy chicken parmesan sliders, add red chili pepper flakes and a drizzle of chili oil to the sandwiches.
Other delicious recipes you may like
Be sure to check out these recipes:
Let me know if you try out this recipe -- tag me on Instagram @siftandsimmer or leave me a comment/rating below!
Chicken Parmesan Sliders
For accuracy and precision in baking recipes, use weight (metric) measurements when available.
- 4 small chicken tenders
- 2 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ C marinara sauce
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- 4 mini ciabatta buns
- handful fresh basil leaves
Prepare the chicken:
- Bake the chicken tenders according to the package directions.
- About 5 minutes prior to the end cooking time, remove the chicken from the oven.
- Sprinkle grated parmesan cheese over each chicken.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of tomato sauce on top of each chicken and add mozzarella cheese.
- Return the chicken to the oven and finish baking.
- Remove from oven.
- Lightly toast slider buns in the warm oven for 3-5 minutes.
- Split the buns in half.
- Spoon a layer of tomato sauce to the bottom half of the slider buns.
- Place the baked chicken parm on top.
- Add a few fresh basil leaves, and cover with the top half of the bun.
- Enjoy immediately.
The nutritional information provided should be considered as approximate and is not guaranteed. Please use your best judgment to ensure food is safely prepared and/or a good fit for your diet.