This recipe for Starbucks Medicine Ball, otherwise known as Honey Citrus Mint Tea is easy to prepare and soothing for a sore throat if you're feeling under the weather.
What is a Starbucks Medicine Ball drink?
The "Medicine Ball" or "Cold Buster" at Starbucks was crafted by a customer and is a hot tea beverage made with a combination of two Teavana teas: Peach Tranquility tea and Jade Citrus Mint Green Tea, blended with honey, steamed lemonade, and a pump of peppermint syrup.
This drink became so popular that it's become a staple on the menu at Starbucks, although it now is known as Honey Citrus Mint Tea.
What's in peach tea?
Teavana Peach Tranquility Tea contains apple, candied pineapple, rose hips, chamomile flowers, peach, licorice root, lemon verbena.
What's in citrus mint tea?
Teavana Jade Citrus Mint Tea contains green tea, spearmint, lemon verbena, lemongrass and natural flavors.
Why you'll love this recipe
This Starbucks copycat recipe is easy to make from the comfort of your own home.
Economical: you can make this drink for way less than getting it at Starbucks -- especially if you have a cold that lingers for a few days -- it can really add up!
Soothing: if you feel any cold symptoms coming on, it's a great way to soothe a sore throat, especially during the flu season.
Convenient: using the microwave to heat up the lemonade is practical and easy, with less clean up.
Ingredients you'll need
- Teavana Peach Tranquility tea bag
- Teavana Jade Citrus Mint tea bag
- honey: or any liquid sweetener such as maple syrup, or agave; however honey has antimicrobial properties that may help with illness -- so for that reason, I like using organic unpasteurized honey or manuka honey
- hot water: for brewing the tea; the water should be brought to a boil and slightly cooled
- steamed lemonade: use your favorite store-bought lemonade, or make your own lemonade (see below)
- peppermint extract: optional; use a culinary grade peppermint extract which is alcohol-based rather than peppermint oil, which can be very potent
How to make it
Heat up the lemonade:
Pour lemonade into a heat-proof vessel.
Heat it up in the microwave for 1-1.5 minutes, or until steaming hot.
Brew the tea:
Add 1 tablespoon honey into a large mug.
Place 1 Teavana Peach Tranquility tea bag along with 1 Teavana Jade Citrus Mint tea bag into the mug.
Pour ¾ C hot water into the mug and give the honey a stir to dissolve.
Add in the steamed lemonade and let the tea steep for about 5 minutes before removing tea bags.
Add in 1-2 drops of pure peppermint extract for a peppermint version. Stir well.
Garnish with lemon and fresh mint leaves if you wish.
Combine ¼ C fresh lemon juice with ¼ C granulated sugar and ½ C hot water in a tall glass.
Stir in 1 C cold water, or more to your taste.
Note on recommended tea brewing times
If you're particular about the flavor of the teas:
Peach Tranquility tea should be brewed at 96°C/204°F for about 5 minutes.
Jade Citrus Mint tea should be brewed at 79°C/174°F for 2 minutes.
However, Starbucks adds both tea bags at the same time.
Other ways to heat up lemonade
Use a small saucepan and add in the lemonade.
Bring to a simmer until just steaming hot (don't boil the lemonade).
If you have an espresso machine with a steam wand, you can pour the lemonade into the milk frother cup.
Steam the lemonade until just hot.
Can I omit the peppermint?
If you don't want peppermint, you can omit. The tea will still be very tasty.
Can I use peppermint syrup?
If you have peppermint syrup on hand, you can add a shot of peppermint syrup to the tea, which will slightly sweeten it as well.
Does it really boost your immune system?
I won't claim that drinking this tea will boost your immune system, but it will make you feel better when you're under the weather.
Other Starbucks recipes you may like
Be sure to check out these recipes:
Let me know if you try out this recipe -- tag me on Instagram @siftandsimmer or leave me a comment/rating below!
Starbucks Medicine Ball (Honey Citrus Mint Tea)
For accuracy and precision in baking recipes, use weight (metric) measurements when available.
- ¾ C steamed lemonade
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 bag Teavana Peach Tranquility Tea
- 1 bag Teavana Jade Citrus Mint Tea
- ¾ C hot water
- 1-2 drops peppermint extract optional
Heat up the lemonade:
- Pour lemonade into a heat-proof vessel.
- Heat it up in the microwave for 1-1.5 minutes, or until steaming hot.
Brew the tea:
- Add 1 tablespoon honey into a large mug.
- Place 1 Teavana Peach Tranquility tea bag along with 1 Teavana Jade Citrus Mint tea bag into the mug.
- Pour ¾ C hot water into the mug and give the honey a stir to dissolve.
- Add in the steamed lemonade and let the tea steep for about 5 minutes before removing tea bags.
- Add in 1-2 drops of pure peppermint extract for a peppermint version. Stir well.
- Garnish with lemon and fresh mint leaves if you wish.
The nutritional information provided should be considered as approximate and is not guaranteed. Please use your best judgment to ensure food is safely prepared and/or a good fit for your diet.