Every year, I look forward to the Cherry Blossom trees that bloom, signaling the arrival of spring in Vancouver.
In celebration of this wonderful time of year, I like to draw inspiration from the cherry blossom’s hues of pinks and whites.
What is cherry blossom?
Cherry blossoms are pink and white flowers from ornamental cherry trees, also known as sakura or Japanese cherry.
They are the national flower of Japan.
Here’s my take on a Sakura Lychee Fizz.
Ingredients you’ll need
- edible cherry blossoms
- honey: or any sweetener that you like
- lychee: I used canned lychee in syrup, but you can use fresh lychees
- carbonated soda water (you could add some lychee liqueur if you want)
How to make it
Rinse the cherry blossoms, and soak for at least 30 minutes. Drain the liquid.
Combine honey and water in a small saucepan. Add the cherry blossoms to the liquid. Remove from heat and let steep.
Remove the cherry blossoms from the liquid.
Add lychee syrup (from the canned lychees) to a glass and combine with the cherry blossom honey liquid.
Top with ice and sparkling water (or lychee liqueur).
Other recipes you may like
If you are into sakura cherry blossoms, you may enjoy:
Let me know if you try out this Sakura Lychee Fizz recipe! Tag me on Instagram @siftandsimmer or leave a comment/rating below.
Sakura Lychee Fizz
For accuracy and precision in baking recipes, use weight (metric) measurements when available.
- 4 sakura cherry blossoms rinsed and soaked
- ½ C water
- ¼ C honey
- ¼ C lychee syrup from a can
- ½ oz Soho lychee liqueur optional
- 1 C crushed ice
- 250 ml sparkling water/club soda chilled (eg. San Pellegrino, Perrier)
- Rinse the cherry blossoms under cold running water. Place the cherry blossoms into a bowl and soak for at least 30 minutes. Drain.
- Add ½ C water and ¼ C honey to a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer and add the cherry blossoms. Remove from heat and let steep. Cool and remove the cherry blossoms.
- Open a can of lychees and remove ¼ C of syrup. Save the lychees for garnishing.
- Pour 4 Tbsp lychee syrup into a glass. Add in 4 Tbsp of cherry blossom honey liquid. (Add in the liqueur if using).
- Add in the crushed ice and top off with sparkling water. Garnish with lychee.
- Serve the Sakura Lychee Fizz immediately.
The nutritional information provided should be considered as approximate and is not guaranteed. Please use your best judgment to ensure food is safely prepared and/or a good fit for your diet.