This recipe for Quick & Easy Roasted Strawberries takes less than 30 minutes and will be your new favourite way to cook fruit. Softened, caramelized, sweet strawberries in a thick syrup that go well on ice cream, scones, and everything in between.
Why you'll love these roasted strawberries
This recipe for Roasted Strawberries is super easy and quick to make:
Minimal: Only 2 ingredients!
Easy to make: Just cut up fresh strawberries, sprinkle on sugar, and roast.
Efficient: Using the oven to roast the strawberries is an effective and easy way to concentrate their rich fruity flavor without having to watch or stir it constantly.
What is the difference between roasting and baking?
Roasting is a technique of using high temperature dry heat (usually an oven) to cook.
It's slightly different than baking, which also uses an oven, but at a lower temperature (usually 350F).
Roasting usually refers to an oven temperature of 400-450F.
How to choose fresh strawberries
Buy fresh strawberries at their peak in season.
Look for bright, red berries that are firm, slightly shiny with a green leafy top.
Choose berries that have a sweet scent.
Avoid strawberries with pale or white by the stem, as they will not continue to ripen after being picked.
Buy local and organic, if possible.
2 ingredients you'll need
You will only need:
- fresh strawberries: washed, patted dry and hulled; cut into smaller pieces if they are large strawberries
- granulated sugar: since strawberries can be tart; a little sugar will help the strawberries bring out their natural sweetness and cut down on the tartness; you can also use a sweetener such as honey or maple syrup; for this application I do not recommend coconut sugar or brown sugar
How to roast strawberries in the oven
Preheat oven to 400°F/204°C.
Give the strawberries a good wash and hull the leafy green tops with a sharp knife. Pat dry with paper towel.
Cut strawberries in half (or into quarters if they are large).
Place strawberries onto a rimmed baking sheet or baking dish lined with parchment paper in a single layer.
Sprinkle sugar over the tops of the strawberries.
Roast in the oven at 400°F/204°C for 15-18 minutes, or until strawberries are softened and caramelized, stirring every once in a while.
Note: if your oven runs hot, you may need to adjust the roasting/baking time and/or temperature. Keep an eye on it to prevent the syrup from burning.
How to use roasted strawberries
Use roasted strawberries in places where you would use fresh strawberries.
Play around and perk up the roasted strawberries with different flavors:
- lemon juice
- vanilla extract/vanilla pod
- maple syrup
- balsamic vinegar
- lemon zest
- basil or mint leaves
How to store
Store the roasted strawberries (and syrup) in an airtight glass jar or container in the fridge for up to 1 week.
You can freeze the cooled strawberries in a freezer-safe container up to 3 months.
Simply defrost the strawberries in the fridge overnight prior to using.
Expert tips & FAQs
Why roast strawberries?
Roasting the strawberries will yield a sweeter, deeper strawberry flavor.
It evaporates the excess moisture and deepens the sugars, adding a caramel-like flavor and gives it an intense strawberry flavor.
The syrup will thicken slightly after cooling.
Can you freeze roasted strawberries?
Yes, place the cooled roasted strawberries in a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 3 months.
Defrost in the fridge overnight prior to using.
Can you roast frozen strawberries?
Yes, you can absolutely roast frozen strawberries.
No need to thaw.
Just add 5-10 more minutes to the overall roasting time since there will be more juices released.
My strawberries were tart.
You may need to adjust the amount of sweetener as it depends on how sweet your strawberries are to begin with.
Give the strawberries a taste and add more or less sweetener to your liking.
Other strawberry recipes you may like
Be sure to check out these recipes:
Let me know if you try out this recipe -- tag me on Instagram @siftandsimmer or leave me a comment/rating below!
Quick & Easy Roasted Strawberries (2 Ingredients)
For accuracy and precision in baking recipes, use weight (metric) measurements when available.
- 500 g fresh strawberries
- 30 g granulated sugar or more depending on how tart/sweet the strawberries naturally are
- Preheat oven to 400°F/204°C.
- Give the strawberries a good wash and hull the leafy green tops with a sharp knife. Pat dry with paper towel.
- Cut strawberries in half (or into quarters if they are large).
- Place strawberries onto a rimmed baking sheet or baking dish lined with parchment paper in a single layer.
- Sprinkle sugar over the tops of the strawberries.
- Roast in the oven at 400°F/204°C for 15-18 minutes, or until strawberries are softened and caramelized, stirring every once in a while.
- Taste and adjust the sweetness if needed.
- Note: if your oven runs hot, you may need to adjust the roasting/baking time and/or temperature. Keep an eye on it to prevent the syrup from burning.
The nutritional information provided should be considered as approximate and is not guaranteed. Please use your best judgment to ensure food is safely prepared and/or a good fit for your diet.