This recipe for Matcha S'mores is a spin on the classic campfire treat, featuring homemade matcha green tea marshmallows sandwiched with chocolate and graham cracker cookies.
This recipe first appeared on Sift & Simmer in July 2017. Updated May 2022.
What are s'mores?
S'mores are a classic campfire treat consisting of toasted marshmallow and chocolate sandwiched in between two graham crackers.
The name is a contraction of the two words "some" and "more."
Why you'll love this recipe
Matcha S'mores are a fun variation on the campfire treat and easy to make.
Adding matcha green tea powder to the marshmallows helps to dampen the overall sweetness of the treat.
You can easily customize Matcha S'mores and use matcha green tea in the chocolate portion or in the marshmallow portion.
This is egg-free, no-bake dessert is simple to whip up, perfect for when you need a little sweet something after dinner.
Ingredients you'll need
- graham crackers: are coarse-ground whole wheat crackers sweetened with honey and/or cinnamon and is commonly used as a base crust for cheesecake
- matcha marshmallows: or regular marshmallows; you can even dust regular marshmallows with matcha powder if you like
- dark chocolate: or matcha chocolate; you can use any chocolate you like
How to make them
Make the matcha marshmallows. (You can also use regular store-bought marshmallows or make the regular vanilla marshmallows).
For homemade matcha marshmallows (corn syrup-free) [full details and step-by-step in the recipe link]:
- Line a small pan with parchment paper dust with cornstarch, powdered sugar and matcha tea powder.
- Make the gelatin mixture: in a stand mixer bowl, combine cold water and sprinkle unflavored gelatin powder on top.
- Add vanilla extract, matcha powder and pinch of salt to the gelatin mixture.
- In a small saucepan, combine water with sugar and bring to a boil over medium high heat without stirring. Let the syrup reach a temperature of 240ºF on a candy thermometer.
- Once the sugar syrup hits 240ºF, remove from heat.
- Whisk the gelatin mixture on low speed and gradually pour the sugar syrup in a gentle stream.
- Continue to beat until the mixture is lightened in colour, fluffy, glossy and tripled in volume, about 10-15 minutes.
- Transfer the marshmallow mixture to the prepared pan.
- Dust with additional matcha-cornstarch mixture and let it dry for 4 hours.
Toast marshmallow over a fire or over a heat source until golden brown, or to your liking.
Take a graham cracker.
Add a piece of dark chocolate (or make matcha chocolate [instead of piping them into chips, pipe them into squares]) and toasted marshmallow and sandwich together with another graham cracker on top.
Heat source options
You don't have to use an actual campfire to make s'mores.
You can use any heat source such as:
- oven: you can bake or use the broiler (watch the timing -- it will not take long)
- stove burner flame: stick the marshmallow onto a metal skewer and wave it over the flame
- wood-burning fireplace: stick the marshmallow onto a metal skewer and wave it over the flame
- microwave: will melt the marshmallow but not give it any char
- kitchen blowtorch: similar to making Aburi Sushi, this will give the marshmallow some char -- best used in conjunction with the microwave method
As with any heat source, be careful and use caution.
If you've got leftovers, transform the Matcha S'mores into a milkshake or copycat Starbucks Frappuccino by adding milk and/or vanilla ice cream and blending it all together into a decadent drink.
Other recipes you may like
Be sure to check out these recipes:
Let me know if you try out this recipe for Matcha S'mores -- tag me on Instagram @siftandsimmer or leave me a comment/rating below!
For accuracy and precision in baking recipes, use weight (metric) measurements when available.
- Toast marshmallow over a fire or over a heat source until golden brown, or to your liking.
- Take a graham cracker.
- Add a piece of dark chocolate (or make matcha chocolate [instead of piping them into chips, pipe them into squares]) and toasted marshmallow and sandwich together with another graham cracker on top.
- Enjoy immediately.
The nutritional information provided should be considered as approximate and is not guaranteed. Please use your best judgment to ensure food is safely prepared and/or a good fit for your diet.