Disclosure: This post is sponsored by SunButter. All images and opinions expressed are solely mine. Thank you for supporting brands that help make Sift & Simmer possible!
The other day, my son came home from school and told me that I had forgotten to pack him a snack and that his teacher offered him a variety of granola bars that he had passed on.
Not surprised. Sigh, my picky eater.
If it were me in his shoes, I probably would’ve grabbed every granola bar the teacher offered!
I’m seriously wondering if my kid is just never hungry? Needless to say, I began racking my head for a snack I could send my kid off to school with that didn’t contain nuts, and would meet my son’s picky eating needs.
QUICK & SIMPLE TO MAKE
I came up with this recipe on the fly and made it within 15 minutes (minus the chilling). It’s so simple to whip up and tastes delicious too.
WHAT’S IN THEM?
- crisped cereal (you can use rice krispies or whole O’s)
- creamy Organic SunButter
- some brown rice syrup
- coconut flakes for texture.
Feel free to change up the ingredients to suit your liking. For fun, I threw in some marshmallows (because, who doesn’t like marshmallows?) and topped it off with chocolate and flaked sea salt. If you’re vegan, omit or use vegan marshmallows.
Crunchy, sweet, and salty — it’s like a peanut butter crunch bar without the peanuts. So you can send it to school with the kids.
The best part? It stores well in the freezer too! You can make these ahead, cut them into squares, freeze them individually and voila… anytime you have a hankering for a sweet snack? BOOM!
You may enjoy my other SunButter recipes:
Let me know if you try out this recipe — tag me on Instagram @siftandsimmer or leave me a message below!
SunButter Chocolate Crispy Treats
- 4 C dry cereal whole O's or rice crisp cereal
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ C Organic SunButter
- 3 Tbsp brown rice syrup
- ¼ C flaked coconut
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ C large marshmallows
- 1 C semi-sweet chocolate chips
- flaked sea salt for garnishing
- Prepare an 8" by 8" baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a large food processor, add in the dry cereal, cinnamon, and pulse intermittently until the cereal is the size of green peas.
- Add in the Organic SunButter, brown rice syrup, flaked coconut, vanilla extract and marshmallows, and pulse intermittently again until the mixture forms together when pressed between your fingers.
- Dump the mixture into the prepared baking pan and press down firmly into the corners to form an even square.
- Melt 1 C of chocolate chips in the microwave for 20-30 seconds, and spread it over top of the crispy cereal mixture. Smooth the chocolate with an offset spatula and sprinkle with some flaked sea salt.
- Place into the freezer for 30 minutes, until hardened.
- Remove from freezer and cut into 9 large squares or 16 smaller squares. Wrap individually to return to the freezer, or leave them covered in the refrigerator.