These baked Cheese Breadsticks are similar to the ones you'll find in grocery store bakery departments. They feature soft and light bread dough studded with cheddar cheese.
If there is a grocery store bakery treat that I tend to gravitate to, it would be Cheese Breadsticks.
The ones that come in a bag at the store, studded with melted crisp cheddar cheese, which are different than the pizza-style garlic cheese breadsticks from restaurants (eg. Olive Garden or Little Caesars).
Why you'll love this recipe
The dough for these Cheese Breadsticks is incredibly light and soft, with a bouncy texture.
It's based on my Hotdog Buns recipe and is so similar to the breadsticks that you can find in grocery store bakery departments.
Using tangzhong (a flour-water roux) in the dough guarantees that the Cheese Breadsticks are soft at room temperature for a few days.
The recipes comes together within 2 hours.
These Cheese Breadsticks are great as an appetizer or snack.
Feel free to add other flavours to the breadsticks to make them your own.
Ingredients you'll need
- 1 batch of Bakery-Style Hot Dog Buns dough
- cheddar cheese: grated or shredded; you can use any cheese you like, but orange cheddar is classic for these breadsticks
Equipment you'll need
- baking sheet: 13" x 18" lined with parchment paper
- spray bottle filled with clean water: for spraying the tops of the dough
How to make it
Make a batch of Bakery-Style Hot Dog Buns dough (Step ⅔ below).
Once risen, divide the dough into 8 equal pieces, about 80g each (Step 4 below).
Roll a piece of dough into a log about 10" in length (Step 5 below).
Place the dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (Step 6 below).
Repeat with the remainder.
Using a spray bottle filled with clean water, lightly spray the tops of the dough with water (Step 7 below).
Sprinkle the grated/shredded cheddar cheese over top of the dough (Step 8 below).
Bake at 375F for 14-15 minutes, until cheese is melted and crisp (Step 9 below).
If the breadsticks are not golden enough, increase to 400F for 1-2 minutes.
Feel free to change up the breadsticks with different flavours.
- parmesan cheese: adds a crusty texture to the tops of the breadsticks
- herbs: try dried oregano, basil, or parsley
- spices: garlic or onion powder; not fresh garlic or it will burn
How to store
Store the Cheese Breadsticks in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Freeze the breadsticks in an freezer-safe bag for up to 3 months.
How to serve & reheat
Serve the Cheese Breadsticks soft and freshly baked, or slightly cooled at room temperature.
They'd go great with a marinara or tomato dipping sauce.
To reheat from frozen, place the breadstick in the microwave for about 30 seconds, until soft and warmed through.
Expert tips & FAQs
My dough is really sticky.
This dough will be on the moist side.
If it's too wet, add about 1 tablespoon of flour and continue to knead. It should come together without being overly tacky.
How can I tell if the dough is done proofing?
If you poke the dough after rising, it should leave an indent and spring back a little.
When you poke the dough and it springs back right away, it needs more proofing time.
Can I use a different cheese?
Yes, you can use any low-moisture cheese.
Why do I need to spray the dough with water?
This helps the cheese to stick to the bread more easily.
Other recipes you may like
Be sure to check out these recipes:
Let me know if you try out this recipe -- tag me on Instagram @siftandsimmer or leave me a comment/rating below!
Cheese Breadsticks (Grocery Store Bakery Copycat)
- 1 baking sheet 13" x 18"
- 1 spray bottle filled with clean water
For accuracy and precision in baking recipes, use weight (metric) measurements when available.
- 1 batch Bakery-Style Hot Dog Buns dough
- 100 g grated/shredded cheddar cheese
- water in spray bottle for spritzing the dough
For visual step-by-step instructions, refer to body of the post.
- Make a batch of Bakery-Style Hot Dog Buns dough.
- Once risen, divide the dough into 8 equal pieces, about 80g each.
- Roll a piece of dough into a log about 10" in length.
- Place the dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Repeat with the remainder.
- Using a spray bottle filled with clean water, lightly spray the tops of the dough with water.
- Sprinkle the grated/shredded cheddar cheese over top of the dough.
- Bake at 375°F/191°C for 14-15 minutes, until cheese is melted and crisp.
- If the breadsticks are not golden enough, increase to 400°F/204°C for 1-2 minutes.
The nutritional information provided should be considered as approximate and is not guaranteed. Please use your best judgment to ensure food is safely prepared and/or a good fit for your diet.