Disclosure: This post is sponsored by the Turkey Farmers of Canada. All images and opinions expressed are solely my own.
These pillowy soft, buttery Turkey Pepperoni Cheese-Stuffed Breadsticks are my kids’ current favourite treat.
Just think of pizza dough wrapped with a surprise of turkey pepperoni and melty cheese in the middle waiting for you.
Turkey pepperoni is always one of those foods I like to keep on hand since it is tasty, lean, high in protein and makes for a great snack.
INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED
- turkey pepperoni
- mozzarella cheese
- pizza dough or you can make your own dough (below)
For this recipe, we will use lean turkey pepperoni sticks. I always have pepperoni sticks on hand — they are already cooked and ready to eat, which makes them convenient to use.
You can find these at grocery stores in the refrigerated meat/cheese section.
The pepperoni sticks come with an edible casing that doesn’t require removal.
WHICH TYPE OF CHEESE TO USE
For best results, use mozzarella cheese or any good melty cheese.
To prepare the cheese, cut the mozzarella into a log about the same length as the turkey pepperoni.
Tip: If you want an even distribution of cheese, use mozzarella cheese rolls (they’re similar to cheese strings). Then, you can coil the cheese roll around the pepperoni stick.
HOW TO MAKE THE DOUGH FOR THE BREADSTICKS
The breadstick dough is similar to pizza dough, however, I’ve added milk to make the dough even softer.
In a bowl, combine the warmed milk, sugar and active dry yeast. Give it a stir and let it become bubbly.
Next, in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, add the flour, salt, and oil.
Once the yeast mixture is bubbly and active, pour it into the flour mixture and knead until the dough becomes soft and elastic.
Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled bowl and cover with a damp cloth. Let it rise in a warm environment, until doubled in bulk.
Once the dough has risen, punch it down and divide it into 10 equal portions.
HOW TO WRAP THE DOUGH AROUND THE PEPPERONI & CHEESE
Roll each portion of dough into a long log, about 10-12″ long.
If you’re using mozzarella cuz into logs: Grab the pepperoni stick and mozzarella cheese with one hand. With the other hand, coil the dough around both the pepperoni and cheese together, starting from one end, wrapping it around and tucking in the ends.
If you’re using the mozzarella cheese rolls: wrap the cheese roll around the pepperoni first prior to wrapping the dough around it.
Place the dough-wrapped pepperoni and cheese onto a large baking tray lined with parchment paper.
2 BAKING TEMPERATURES
I found that baking the breadsticks at a lower temperature will yield a softer breadstick, rather than baking them at 375°F throughout.
However, baking the breadsticks straight at 350°F will yield a paler breadstick.
In order to get a little colour on the breadsticks, they are baked at 375°F first, before decreasing to 350°F.
HOW TO SERVE AND REHEAT THE BREADSTICKS
These Turkey Pepperoni Cheese-Stuffed Breadsticks are soft, savoury and incredibly delicious.
They are best served hot, with a side of marinara dipping sauce.
If you are planning to serve them later, cover the breadsticks with a cloth to keep them soft.
To warm them up, reheat the breadsticks in the microwave for 30 seconds, or until piping hot and the cheese melts.
OTHER TURKEY RECIPES YOU MAY LIKE
Be sure to check out my other turkey recipes:
- Breakfast Turkey & Egg Croissants
- Grilled Lemongrass Turkey Banh Mi
- Turkey Cheese Puff Pastry Roll Ups
Melty mozzarella cheese, turkey pepperoni, and a buttery soft bread dough come together in a bite that is just irresistible.
Let me know if you try out my recipe for these Turkey Pepperoni Cheese-Stuffed Breadsticks! Tag me on Instagram @siftandsimmer or leave me a comment/rating below.
Turkey Pepperoni Cheese-Stuffed Breadsticks
- 300 ml whole milk warmed
- 15 g granulated cane sugar
- 7 g active dry yeast
- 400 g all-purpose flour
- 2 g fine sea salt
- 15 g avocado oil or any vegetable oil + extra for greasing bowl
- 10 (25g) turkey pepperoni sticks
- 100 g mozzarella cheese cut into sticks/ or use cheese rolls
- 1 small egg beaten
- 15 g melted butter
- 20 g parmesan cheese
- 1 g dried parsley
Make the breadsticks dough:
- In a bowl, combine the warmed milk, sugar and active dry yeast. Give it a stir and let it become bubbly.
- Next, in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, add the flour, salt, and oil.
- Once the yeast mixture is bubbly and active, pour it into the flour mixture and knead until the dough becomes soft and elastic.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled bowl and cover with a damp cloth. Let it rise in a warm environment, until doubled in size.
- Once the dough has risen, punch it down and divide it into 10 equal portions.
- Roll each portion of dough into a long log, about 10-12" long.
Wrap the dough around the pepperoni and cheese:
- If you're using mozzarella cut into logs: Grab the pepperoni stick and mozzarella cheese with one hand. With the other hand, coil the dough around both the pepperoni and cheese together, starting from one end, wrapping it around and tucking the end. If you're using the mozzarella cheese rolls: first, wrap the cheese roll around the pepperoni prior to wrapping the dough around it.
- Place the breadstick onto a large baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
- Cover the tray with a damp cloth and let the breadsticks rise until puffy.
Bake the breadsticks:
- Towards the end of the proofing, preheat oven to 375°F.
- Remove the cloth and using a pastry brush, lightly brush the tops with the beaten egg.
- Bake the breadsticks at 375°F for 2 minutes, and then reduce to 350°F to bake for another 10-12 minutes.
- Remove the pepperoni breadsticks from the oven and brush the tops with melted butter.
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese and parsley over the top.
- Serve hot, with a side of marinara dipping sauce if you like.