This recipe for Small-Batch Matcha Rice Krispie Squares is a spin on the classic treat, with the addition of matcha green tea, mini marshmallows, and condensed milk which keeps the texture chewy and tender even after a day.
Why you'll love this recipe
Matcha Rice Krispie Squares are quick and easy to make, and only require 6 ingredients.
This childhood favourite gets a glow-up that is not too sweet with the addition of high quality matcha green tea powder.
Adding condensed milk also helps to keep the rice krispie squares chewy and tender rather than dry and stale after a day.
This small batch recipe makes enough for 9 small squares, and is easily made in one large bowl.
That's right, no need to make this in a large pot or saucepan over the stove!
They're a naturally gluten-free treat.
Ingredients you'll need
- marshmallows: you can use mini or regular; I don't recommend homemade marshmallows for this recipe
- salted butter: helps to balance out the sweetness; if using unsalted butter, add in a pinch of sea salt
- sweetened condensed milk: adds a milky flavour to the rice krispie squares and helps to keep them chewy and tender
- crisp rice: or rice krispies cereal
- matcha green tea powder: use a high quality matcha for the best flavour and vibrant green color
- vanilla extract: optional, for additional flavour
How to make them
In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine the marshmallows, butter and condensed milk.
Microwave it for 20-30 seconds, until the marshmallows are melted and slightly puffy.
Add in the matcha powder and vanilla extract and stir to combine.
Add in the crisp rice (rice krispies) and additional mini marshmallows, if desired.
Use a spatula to combine until all the crisp rice is coated with the matcha marshmallow mixture.
Transfer to a square container or baking dish (I used a 4" by 4" container) lined with parchment paper and press firmly with an offset spatula.
Let it set and cool completely, about 1 hour.
To serve, use a sharp serrated knife to cut into squares.
How to store
Store the Matcha Rice Krispie Squares in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Alternatively, you can individually wrap and freeze the squares for up to 1 month.
You can add some extras to the Rice Krispie Squares to make them your own.
Feel free to add:
- black sesame seeds
- dark chocolate chips
- white chocolate chips
- freeze-dried fruit
Expert tips & substitutions
Can I make them vegan?
For a vegan-friendly version, use vegan marshmallows and sweetened coconut condensed milk instead.
Can I double the recipe?
You can double the recipe to make a larger batch.
Other recipes you may like
Be sure to check out these recipes:
Let me know if you try out this recipe -- tag me on Instagram @siftandsimmer or leave me a comment/rating below!
Small-Batch Matcha Rice Krispie Squares
For accuracy and precision in baking recipes, use weight (metric) measurements when available.
- 150 g marshmallows + additional for mixing in
- 15 g salted butter
- 20 ml sweetened condensed milk
- 1 ½ teaspoon matcha
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 80 g (2 C) crisp rice (Rice Krispies)
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine the marshmallows, butter and condensed milk.
- Microwave it for 20-30 seconds, until the marshmallows are melted and slightly puffy.
- Add in the matcha powder and vanilla extract and stir to combine.
- Add in the crisp rice (rice krispies) and additional mini marshmallows, if desired.
- Use a spatula to combine together until all the crisp rice is coated with the matcha marshmallow mixture.
- Transfer to a container lined with parchment paper and press firmly with an offset spatula.
- Let it set and cool completely, about 1 hour.
- To serve, use a sharp serrated knife to cut into squares.
The nutritional information provided should be considered as approximate and is not guaranteed. Please use your best judgment to ensure food is safely prepared and/or a good fit for your diet.