This Matcha Hazelnut Spread is a green tea riff on my Homemade Gianduja (Italian Chocolate Hazelnut Spread). It only takes 4 ingredients to make!
Why this recipe works
This Matcha Hazelnut Spread is a delicious way to change up your regular hazelnut butter.
Using hazelnut butter saves time and effort in grinding down the hazelnuts.
Adding matcha to the spread tempers the sweetness from the white chocolate.
If you love matcha, try these recipes:
4 ingredients you'll need
- white chocolate: you can use any white chocolate; chocolate chips or bars
- matcha: use a high quality matcha powder for the best flavour and taste
- hazelnut butter: I used pure hazelnut butter, which is made of 100% pure hazelnuts; it's different than hazelnut paste which can have oils and sugars added
- sea salt: just a pinch to balance the sweetness from the white chocolate
How to make it
In a heat-proof bowl, add in the white chocolate and matcha (Step 1 below).
Place the bowl over a double-boiler and heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally with a spatula until the chocolate is melted (Step 2 below).
Next, add in hazelnut butter in small increments, stirring until fully incorporated (Step 3 below).
Add in sea salt and stir until the mixture is smooth (Step 4 below).
Turn off the heat and and transfer the mixture to a clean, sterile jar or container.
How to store
Store the Matcha Hazelnut Spread in a clean jar at room temperature for up to 1 week.
If storing for a longer period of time, place into the fridge. Note: the spread will solidify when stored in the fridge.
How to use
Use the Matcha Hazelnut Spread as you would any condiment or jam, or try it in a Matcha Star Bread.
Swap it as a filling in Small-Batch Cinnamon Rolls.
FAQs, tips & troubleshooting
Why is my hazelnut spread solid?
If the Matcha Hazelnut Spread solidifies, you can warm it up in a water bath.
Add some warm water to a pot and place the jar of spread into it (like a double-boiler) and that should melt the chocolate and help it become spreadable.
Can I try it with a different nut?
Yes, feel free to experiment with different nuts such as peanut or almonds.
Other recipes you may like
Be sure to check out these recipes:
Let me know if you try out this recipe -- tag me on Instagram @siftandsimmer or leave me a comment/rating below!
Matcha Hazelnut Spread
For accuracy and precision in baking recipes, use weight (metric) measurements when available.
- 50 g white chocolate
- 6 g matcha
- pinch sea salt
- 50 g hazelnut butter
- In a heat-proof bowl, add in the white chocolate and matcha.
- Place the bowl over a double-boiler and heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally with a spatula until the chocolate is melted.
- Next, add in hazelnut butter in small increments, stirring until fully incorporated.
- Add in sea salt and stir until the mixture is smooth.
- Turn off the heat and and transfer the mixture to a clean, sterile jar or container.
The nutritional information provided should be considered as approximate and is not guaranteed. Please use your best judgment to ensure food is safely prepared and/or a good fit for your diet.