These Black Sesame Banana Tahini Muffins are tender and moist, layered with the flavors of nutty and earthy tahini and sweetened with mashed banana.
Why you'll love this recipe
This recipe for Black Sesame Banana Tahini Muffins is:
Easy to make: everything comes together in one bowl!
Moist and tender: using mashed bananas adds natural sweetness and moisture to the muffins.
Equipment you'll need
- muffin tin: with paper liners
- mixing bowl
- ice cream scoop: optional, but makes portioning the muffin batter easier
Ingredients you'll need
- bananas: mashed
- avocado oil: or neutral vegetable oil
- tahini sesame paste: adds more sesame flavor; you can find it at major supermarkets or Middle Eastern grocery stores
- large egg
- granulated sugar: adds a little sweetness
- all-purpose flour: regular plain flour
- black sesame powder: is ground black sesame seeds; used in black sesame paste/soup; you find this at Asian grocery stores
- baking soda: acts as a leavener
- fine sea salt: for flavor
How to make the muffins
Preheat oven to 400F.
Prepare a muffin tin with paper liners.
In a bowl, combine mashed bananas, oil, tahini sesame paste, egg, and sugar.
Add in all-purpose flour, black sesame powder, baking soda, and fine sea salt.
Mix with a spatula until just combined.
Use a large ice cream scoop and portion into a paper-lined muffin tin.
Give the pan a few taps to release any trapped air bubbles.
Bake at 400F for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean or with the slightest crumbs clinging to it.
Leave to cool in the pan for 2 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
How to store
Store the muffins in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.
Place leftover muffins into the fridge (in an airtight container) for up to 5 days.
Store cooled muffins in a freezer-safe bag in the freezer for up to 1 month.
How to reheat
Microwave the muffins for 60-90 seconds, or until the muffins are warmed through.
Other recipes you may like
Be sure to check out these recipes:
Let me know if you try out this recipe -- tag me on Instagram @siftandsimmer or leave me a comment/rating below!
Black Sesame Banana Tahini Muffins
For accuracy and precision in baking recipes, use weight (metric) measurements when available.
- 2 ripe bananas mashed
- 40 ml avocado oil
- 30 ml tahini sesame paste
- 1 large egg
- 40 g granulated sugar
- 80 g all-purpose flour
- 8 g black sesame powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon fine sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F/204°C.
- Prepare a muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a bowl, combine mashed bananas, oil, tahini, egg, and sugar.
- Sift in all-purpose flour, black sesame powder, baking soda, and fine sea salt.
- Mix with a spatula until just combined.
- Use a large ice cream scoop and portion into a paper-lined muffin tin.
- Give the pan a few taps to release any trapped air bubbles.
- Bake at 400°F/204°C for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean or with the slightest crumbs clinging to it.
- Leave to cool in the pan for 2 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
The nutritional information provided should be considered as approximate and is not guaranteed. Please use your best judgment to ensure food is safely prepared and/or a good fit for your diet.
Adapted from Buttermilk By Sam