I think I need to rename my blog to Matcha Mania… it seems like I’m constantly thinking of new matcha recipes…
Do you ever have those times where you think of something, and it just snowballs into something more?
To continue from my Homemade Matcha Chocolate Chips, I present to you… the perfect way to use them… in my Matcha Chocolate Chip Cookies!
DOUBLE THE MATCHA
Definitely for matcha green tea lovers, these are a soft, double matcha chocolate chip cookie. There’s double chocolate chip cookies, so I thought, why not double matcha chip cookies?
The cookie dough contains matcha, and to double up on the green tea goodness, I added my homemade matcha chocolate chips for extra yummy measure.
These were such a hit! Both my boys gobbled them up and asked me to make more, 3 times! Yes! That’s a victory in my books.
NOT SO SECRET INGREDIENT: MATCHA CHOCOLATE CHIPS
The creamy matcha chocolate chips lend a slight bitter punch throughout the cookie. It helps make the overall cookie not too sweet, which is the way I like it.
HOW TO MAKE MY MATCHA CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
No need to have any ingredients at room temperature for this recipe. I used melted butter which makes this process simpler.
Combine the melted butter, egg, and sugars together.
Next, add in the dry ingredients. I added a little bit of almond flour to the cookie for some subtle nutty flavour and to increase the nutritional content a slight bit.
Form the dough into balls, and stud them with my Homemade Matcha Chocolate Chips.
Bake them off and you’ve got soft, buttery, matcha chip-filled cookies that will make you ask… why haven’t I made these sooner?
Well, the time is now, my friends. Go forth and make matcha chocolate chip cookies! If you make this recipe — be sure to tag me on Instagram @siftandsimmer
Matcha Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 4 Tbsp salted butter melted
- ½ whole egg beaten
- 2 Tbsp light brown sugar or coconut sugar
- ¼ C granulated cane sugar
- ½ C all-purpose flour + more as needed
- 2 Tbsp almond flour optional
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp high-quality culinary grade matcha
- ½ C matcha chocolate chips + extra for the tops
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large glass bowl, add the melted salted butter, egg, and sugars. Whisk until everything is combined.
- Add the flours, baking soda, and matcha to the butter mixture and use a spatula to mix until it forms a dough. If you press the dough together, it should stick nicely into a ball and not crumble apart. If it appears too "wet," add 1 Tbsp of flour and mix again.
- Add the matcha chocolate chips to the cookie dough and mix until all of the chips are dispersed throughout the dough.
- Use a small ice cream scoop to portion the cookie dough into 6 balls. Roll the balls and place onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Press in additional matcha chocolate chips on the tops of the cookies and chill in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes.
- Bake the cookies for 9-10 minutes at 350°F, until slightly puffy, dry, and golden in colour. Don't overbake. The cookies should still retain a nice green colour from the matcha.
- Cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet and carefully transfer the cookies onto a wire rack to cool entirely. Enjoy with a tall glass of milk.
Cookie recipe adapted from Pinch of Yum