These Matcha Chocolate Banana Muffins are a spin on my Fluffy Moist Banana Bread.
They’re based off the same recipe, with the addition of homemade matcha chocolate, and baked in muffin tins.
The addition of the matcha chocolate really takes these Matcha Chocolate Banana Muffins to the next level. The earthiness from the green tea balances out the natural sweetness from the banana.
INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED
- flour: all-purpose will do just fine
- 2 bananas: ripe and mashed
- avocado oil: (or any vegetable oil) for moisture
- sour cream/or yogurt: if you don’t have sour cream of yogurt, you can use milk
- granulated sugar
- matcha chocolate: (I had some that I made into large chunks, but you can make them into chips)
HOW TO MAKE THE MUFFINS
Tip: Don’t overmix the batter, or you’ll end up with tough muffins.
Preheat oven to 375F.
Prepare a muffin tin with paper liners.
Sift all the dry ingredients into a large bowl.
In another bowl, mash the bananas (with a fork), whisk in the eggs, oil, and sour cream/yogurt.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and fold with a spatula to combine. Don’t overmix.
Lastly, add in the matcha chocolate and lightly fold into the batter.
Scoop into the muffin liners, about ¾s full.
Bake at 375F for 20-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out with the slightest crumbs clinging on.
HOW TO STORE & REHEAT MATCHA CHOCOLATE BANANA MUFFINS
These muffins are best enjoyed at room temperature. You can place them in an airtight container and leave them at room temperature up to 3 days.
You can also store them in a freezer-friendly container and freeze for up to 3 months.
To reheat the muffins, simply microwave from frozen (about 1 minute, depending on how strong the wattage is on your microwave). Note: If there is some matcha chocolate on the surface of the muffin, it will melt and be a little gooey.
If you love banana bread and matcha, these muffins are for you! 🙂
OTHER MATCHA RECIPES
If you enjoy matcha tea, be sure to check out some of my other matcha recipes:
I love seeing your creations! Let me know if you try out this recipe. Tag me on Instagram @siftandsimmer or leave me a comment/rating below.
Matcha Chocolate Banana Muffins
For accuracy and precision in baking recipes, use weight (metric) measurements when available.
- 1 ½ C all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp cinnamon optional
- 2 ripe bananas mashed
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ C avocado oil or vegetable oil
- ¼ C sour cream or yogurt
- ¼ C granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ C matcha chocolate chips recipe linked in body
- Preheat oven to 375°F/191°C.
- Prepare a muffin tin with paper liners.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder (and cinnamon, if using) into a large bowl. Set aside.
- In another bowl, mash the bananas (with a fork), add in the eggs, oil, sour cream/or yogurt and give it a whisk.
- Add in the granulated sugar and vanilla extract to the banana mixture and whisk to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and fold with a spatula to combine. Don’t overmix.
- Lastly, add in the matcha chocolate chips and lightly fold into the batter with a spatula.
- Scoop into the muffin liners, about ¾s full.
- Bake at 375°F/191°C for 20-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out with the slightest crumbs clinging on.
- Let cool on a cooling rack.
- Enjoy at room temperature.