This recipe for Pumpkin Bacon & Corn Buns is a riff on the Chinese bakery classic, ham and corn buns. It features bacon, cheese and corn nestled onto a soft, fluffy pumpkin-enriched dough, perfect for breakfast or lunch.
Why you'll love this recipe
This recipe is adapted from my Braided Tuna Buns and uses real pumpkin puree in the dough, which gives it a natural orange hue.
Instead of using ham, I used bacon, since bacon and corn go well together.
Typically ham and corn buns contain mayonnaise, but this version is mayo-free.
The dough is braided, which gives the bun a nice pocket for the bacon and corn filling.
Ingredients you'll need
- 1 batch Hamburger Bun Dough
- for the whole milk, replace with half the amount (125ml) with pure pumpkin puree, and leave half (125ml) as whole milk.
- cooked sliced bacon: cut or torn into smaller pieces
- corn niblets: you can use fresh or frozen; just be sure to thaw and blot well if using frozen corn niblets
- cheese: shredded; you can use any type of good melty cheese such as mozzarella, pepper jack, cheddar; I wouldn't recommend using a soft cheese such as fresh mozzarella, however
- green onions/scallions: chopped, for garnish
How to make it
Make the hamburger bun dough according to the recipe, replacing half the amount of milk with pumpkin puree.
Once the dough has proofed, divide into 10 equal portions.
Preheat oven to 375F.
Roll each portion into a long log or rope.
Tie the dough into a loose knot, and bring the tail ends over and under (respectively) the dough, sealing the seams together in the centre.
Place the dough onto a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Press down and flatten the centre of the dough with a spoon (or your fingers).
Add cheese, pieces of bacon and about 1 tablespoon of corn onto the centre of the dough and gently flatten.
Repeat with the remainder.
Cover and let it rise in a warm location, until slightly puffy.
Bake the buns at 375F for 17-18 minutes, until golden brown.
Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Garnish with green onions/scallions if you like.
How to serve, store & reheat
Serve the buns at room temperature, or slightly warmed.
Store buns in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Freeze the Pumpkin Bacon & Corn Buns for up to 1 month in a freezer-safe container or bag.
To reheat the buns, microwave for 30-40 seconds, or until warmed through.
Substitutions & other additions
You can change it up and try adding:
- ham: diced smoked ham, black forest ham, SPAM, etc.
- sausage, hot dog, pepperoni: sliced
- sesame seeds: you can add white or black sesame seeds
Other delicious recipes you may like
Be sure to try these recipes:
Let me know if you try out this recipe -- tag me on Instagram @siftandsimmer or leave me a comment/rating below!
Pumpkin Bacon & Corn Buns
For accuracy and precision in baking recipes, use weight (metric) measurements when available.
For the buns:
- 125 ml whole milk warmed
- 125 g pure pumpkin puree
- 15 g granulated sugar
- 8 g active dry yeast
- 500 g all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- pinch of sea salt
- 60 ml avocado oil
For the filling:
- 1 C mozzarella cheese shredded
- 5 slices cooked bacon cut or torn into smaller pieces
- ½ C corn niblets fresh or frozen
- 1 bunch green onions/scallions: chopped
- In a bowl, add the warmed milk, pumpkin puree, granulated sugar and yeast. Give it a stir and let the yeast activate.
- To a stand mixer bowl fitted with a dough hook attachment, add the flour, egg, salt, and oil.
- Add the activated yeast mixture and knead until the dough becomes smooth and shiny, about 5-8 minutes.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly greased bowl and cover with a tea towel.
- Let the dough rise in a warm location until doubled in size, about 1-1.5 hours, depending on how warm it is.
- Once the dough has proofed, divide into 10 equal portions.
- Preheat oven to 375°F/191°C.
- Roll each portion into a long log or rope.
- Tie the dough into a loose knot, and bring the tail ends over and under (respectively) the dough, sealing the seams together in the centre.
- Place the dough onto a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Press down and flatten the centre of the dough with a spoon (or your fingers).
- Add cheese, pieces of bacon and about 1 tablespoon of corn onto the centre of the dough and gently flatten.
- Repeat with the remainder.
- Cover and let it rise in a warm location, until slightly puffy.
- Bake the buns at 375°F/191°C for 17-18 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Garnish with green onions/scallions if you like.
The nutritional information provided should be considered as approximate and is not guaranteed. Please use your best judgment to ensure food is safely prepared and/or a good fit for your diet.