These Matcha Coconut Cream Buns are a twist on a Chinese bakery classic. The buns are light and fluffy, filled with a flavourful and delicious matcha coconut cream.
These Matcha Coconut Cream Buns are a riff on the classic bakery classic Coconut Cream Buns.
A variation on a classic
These buns are based off my Coconut Cream Buns recipe.
Instead of coconut cream in the bun, I’ve added matcha to the cream which adds some green tea earthiness and additional flavour.
I also like how matcha tones down the sweetness and richness of the overall cream.
Ingredients you’ll need
What you’ll need for the matcha cream:
- heavy whipping cream (36% MF milkfat)
- high-quality matcha powder
- powdered sugar
- coconut extract
Keep the cream cold
It’s best to keep the whipping cream as cold as you can and if possible, keep your bowl and whisk in the fridge for at least 20 minutes before you make the cream.
How to make the cream
- Pour in the heavy cream into your chilled bowl
- Whisk until the cream starts to form bubbles
- Add in the powdered sugar and matcha and continue to whisk until medium peaks
- Add in the coconut extract and whisk until stiff peaks. Be careful not to over whisk or you’ll risk turning it into butter
Once the buns have cooled down, split the tops of the buns and fill with the matcha cream.
Let me know if you try out my recipe! Tag me on Instagram @siftandsimmer or leave me a comment below. I’d love to see your creations!
Matcha Coconut Cream Buns
For accuracy and precision in baking recipes, use weight (metric) measurements when available.
- 1 batch Coconut Cream Buns omitting the cream filling
Matcha Coconut Cream:
- 1 C heavy whipping cream
- 3 Tbsp powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp matcha
- 1 tsp coconut extract
Make the matcha whipping cream:
- Chill a medium stainless steel or glass bowl and whisk in the fridge for at least 30 minutes prior to whipping the cream.
- Remove the chilled bowl and whisk from the fridge. Add the cold heavy cream and beat until foamy. Add in the powdered sugar and keep beating until almost stiff peaks. Add in the matcha and coconut extract and whisk until stiff peaks form.
- Transfer the whipped cream into a piping bag fitted with a star tip.
- Carefully cut the Coconut Cream buns lengthwise (and if you wish, remove some of the bread inside since it may be too bulky) and pipe in the matcha coconut cream.
- Best served on the same day as made.
The nutritional information provided should be considered as approximate and is not guaranteed. Please use your best judgment to ensure food is safely prepared and/or a good fit for your diet.