This recipe for Easy Matcha Mug Cake comes together in less than 10 minutes. If you've got a midnight craving for cake, you can make it with a few ingredients, a mug, and a microwave. No need to turn on the oven for this cake!
When you're craving cake, but don't want to make a full-sized cake, what do you do?
You make a mug cake!
What's a mug cake?
Exactly as it sounds, it's a cake that is made in a mug!
The batter for the cake is mixed in a mug, and it is microwaved until cooked through.
It only takes less than 2 minutes for the cake to be microwaved. (Talk about speedy!)
Also, the cake batter is made right in the mug... easy, right?
Ingredients you'll need
For this Matcha Mug Cake, you'll need:
- 1 egg yolk: no need for the egg white in this recipe; if you want to make it without the egg yolk, substitute with an additional 2 tablespoon of milk
- granulated sugar: adds sweetness to the cake, but you can use any sweetener you like
- avocado oil: you can use any neutral vegetable oil or use butter for additional flavour
- whole milk: you can use any milk or non-dairy alternative
- vanilla extract: my cakes must have vanilla extract for that true "cake" flavour; use pure vanilla extract for the best flavour
- matcha: use a high quality matcha powder for great taste and colour; if you like your matcha strong, go with 1 full tsp, but I liked it at ½ teaspoon of matcha for this recipe.
- cake flour: for a light and airy texture to the mug cake, use cake flour, which has a lower protein content; you can certainly use all-purpose flour if you don't have cake flour on hand.
- baking powder: helps provide additional lift and lightness to the mug cake.
How to make it
Use a microwave-safe mug. (I used a 7oz mug).
In the mug, lightly whisk together the egg yolk, granulated sugar, oil, milk, and vanilla extract.
Sift in the matcha powder, cake flour, and baking powder.
Mix until everything is combined.
Place the mug into the microwave and cook for 1 minute - 1 minute, 30 seconds (depending on your microwave's power), or until cake is set in the middle.
Cool for 2-3 minutes before serving.
Garnish with whipped cream, powdered sugar, or fruit if you wish.
Best enjoyed right away.
Note: Different microwaves will have various power and wattage. (Recipe is based on a 1200 watt microwave).
FAQs & substitutions
If you don't want to use matcha, you can omit it, or use a different flavour.
Add in chocolate chips or sprinkles for a fun and festive spin on the mug cake.
If you don't have cake flour on hand, you can substitute with adding 4 tablespoon all-purpose flour, removing 1 teaspoon of flour and replacing it with 1 teaspoon cornstarch.
Can I make it ahead of time?
This cake is best served soon after it is made, so I wouldn't recommend making the cake ahead of time.
Other recipes you may like
If you liked this recipe, be sure to check out these small-batch matcha recipes:
Let me know if you make this recipe! Be sure to tag me on Instagram @siftandsimmer or leave me a comment/rating below!
Easy Matcha Mug Cake
For accuracy and precision in baking recipes, use weight (metric) measurements when available.
- 1 egg yolk no egg white
- 2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoon avocado oil or butter
- 1 tablespoon whole milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon matcha sifted
- 4 tablespoon cake flour sifted
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- In a microwave-safe mug, lightly whisk together the egg yolk, sugar, oil, milk, and vanilla extract. (I used a pair of chopsticks to do this).
- Sift in the matcha powder, cake flour, and baking powder.
- Mix until everything is combined.
- Place the mug into the microwave and cook for approximately 60-90 seconds (depending on your microwave's power), or heat until cake is set in the middle.
- Cool for 2-3 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with whipped cream, powdered sugar, or fruit if you wish.
- Best enjoyed right away.
The nutritional information provided should be considered as approximate and is not guaranteed. Please use your best judgment to ensure food is safely prepared and/or a good fit for your diet.