It’s been a stretch of warm, hot weather here in Vancouver and all I can think of is how much ice cream I gotta eat to cool down! So, I apologize in advance if you’re seeing a lot of ice cream on the blog lately… it’s the only way to cope!
Ice cream with chocolate flakes seems to be one of my favourite.
My childhood favourite was Mint Chocolate Chip, and then when I was in my University years, I gravitated towards Espresso Flake.
But the classic pairing of coffee and cream is just can’t be beat. Even non-regular coffee drinkers (such as myself) love this no-churn ice cream.
WHAT IS NO-CHURN ICE CREAM?
No-churn ice cream is a simple way to make ice cream without fancy ingredients or attachments.
There’s no need to make a custard or add any eggs to the ice cream.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE COFFEE ESPRESSO BEAN ICE CREAM
- heavy whipping cream
- condensed milk
- instant coffee
- vanilla extract
- kahlua (optional)
- chopped dark chocolate
- espresso beans
HOW TO MAKE THE ICE CREAM
Simply whip the whipping cream with a whisk, until almost stiff peaks.
Combine the condensed milk, coffee, vanilla, and kahlua (if using) in a separate bowl.
Fold the condensed milk mixture into the whipped cream.
Add in the chopped chocolate, transfer to a jar and freeze.
OTHER ICE CREAM RECIPES YOU MAY LIKE
This Coffee Espresso Bean Ice Cream’s coffee flavour is robust but not overpowering, and is lightly sweetened with the condensed milk.
The heavy cream mutes the bitterness from the coffee. Then it’s finished off with the crunch of the espresso beans, which lightly enhances and rounds out the coffee aroma.
It’s super easy to make, which really is a life-saver when it’s hot out and you need ice cream quick!
Let me know if you’ve made a no-churn style ice cream! Be sure to tag me on Instagram @siftandsimmer or comment below! 🙂 Here’s to the best way to cool down during hot summer days!
No-Churn Coffee Espresso Bean Ice Cream
- 250 ml heavy cream
- 120 g condensed milk
- 1 T vanilla extract
- 1 T kahlua optional, but highly recommended
- 2 T instant coffee
- 80 g semi sweet chocolate chopped coarsely
- ¼ C chocolate covered espresso beans chopped in half
- In a bowl of a stand mixer, add in the heavy cream and vanilla extract. Turn on the mixer and whip until almost stiff peaks.
- Pour the condensed milk into a separate medium bowl. Stir instant coffee and kahlua (if using) into the condensed milk.
- Place 2 scoops of the whipped cream into the condensed milk and fold to lighten the mixture. Pour the lightened condensed milk back into the remaining whipped cream. Gently fold.
- Add in the chopped chocolate and chopped espresso beans and fold lightly until just incorporated.
- Pour the mixture into a container lined with parchment paper.
- Cover and place into the freezer to chill for at least 4-6 hours.
Recipe loosely adapted from Half Baked Harvest.