For my eldest son’s 4th birthday, he begged me to make a rainbow-colored birthday cake. Not wanting to use any artificial colours, I was up for the challenge.
It actually turned out pretty good for an all-natural coloured cake. Except, the colours weren’t as vivid. They were somewhat dull, but you could make out the different colours.
REMINDING ME ABOUT THE RAINBOW CAKE
My son was so excited when I cut open the cake and revealed all the layers. He was just so happy! I knew I had done a good job, but I knew it wasn’t a cake that I was going to attempt anytime soon.
For almost an entire year after, he kept reminding me to make another rainbow cake.
I didn’t have the heart to tell him that I hadn’t written down the recipe so I couldn’t remember what I had used to make each coloured layer.
ALL-NATURAL POWDERED COLOURS
When Suncore sent me their Supercolor powders, I just knew I needed to remake a rainbow cake, this time in the form of a mille crepe cake. An All-Natural Rainbow Mille Crepe Cake.
I won’t lie, this cake does take some time to make as you have to make the batter ahead of time, divide and colour the batter, and then slave over the hot stove to make each layer. It’s all in the name of love, right?
Well, my dear boy, I think I’ve done it — albeit 2 years late.
Whimsical, colourful, and sophisticated, this All-Natural Rainbow Mille Crepe Cake will be sure to turn heads. Make it for a birthday party and watch the kids ooh and ahh. I may just make it for my youngest’s 4th birthday next year. 😉
Oh, and if you are looking for a mille crepe cake that isn’t so colourful, my Rose Strawberry Hibiscus Mille Crepe Cake might be up your alley.
Let me know if you try out my recipe! I’d love to see. Tag me on Instagram @siftandsimmer or leave me a comment below.
If you’d like to try out these powders for yourself, use my code SIFTANDSIMMER15 for 15% off your purchase at Suncore Foods.*
(*Note that the code is case sensitive. It is only valid on www.suncorefoods.com and cannot be used on any bundles, cannot be combined wi
All-Natural Rainbow Mille Crepe Cake
- 1 C + 3 Tbsp whole milk
- 3 eggs
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- ¾ C flour
- ¼ C sugar
- pinch of salt
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
For the colours:
- Red: 1 tsp red yeast rice powder + 2 tsp Suncore Pink Pitaya Supercolor Powder
- Orange: ½ tsp red yeast rice powder + 1 tsp Suncore Yellow Goldenberry Supercolor Powder
- Yellow: 2 tsp Suncore Yellow Goldenberry Supercolor Powder
- Green: 1 tsp Suncore Emerald Pandan Leaf Supercolor Powder
- Blue: ¼ tsp Suncore Blue Butterfly Pea Supercolor Powder
- Purple: ⅛ tsp Suncore Blue Butterfly Pea Supercolor Powder + 1 tsp Suncore Fuchsia Hibiscus Supercolor Powder
- oil for greasing the frying pan
Whipped Cream Filling:
- 1 C 250g heavy whipping cream
- 2 Tbsp powdered sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
Make the crepes:
- Combine all the ingredients together in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Cover and let sit for 1-2 hours in the refrigerator.
- When ready to make the crepes, remove batter from fridge.
- Use a wooden spoon and stir the mixture.
- Divide the batter into 6 equal portions (about 100g each) in 6 individual bowls.
- Mix the corresponding Supercolor powders to colour each bowl individually from red to purple. Strain each coloured batter through a sieve before pouring into the frying pan.
- Heat up a small 5″ frying pan and grease with a little oil.
- Pour about 2 T of batter into 5″ frying pan.
- Let it cook over low heat, about 1-2 minutes, flip, and continue cooking for another minute.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool.
- Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Ensure crepes are completely cool before stacking upon each other.
- Note: Each coloured batter should produce about 4 x 5" crepes.
Make whipped cream:
- In a chilled bowl, add the heavy cream, sugar, vanilla and whisk until stiff peaks.
- Starting with the purple crepes, lay one crepe on a plate and place 1 T of whipped cream on top. Smooth the surface with a spatula and lay another crepe on top. Repeat with the remainder of the crepes, moving through the colours.
- Place into the fridge to set for at least 4-6 hours before serving.
- Serve chilled.