This recipe for All-Natural Rainbow Mille Crepe Cake is so much fun to make. Each colourful layer is sandwiched with whipped cream.
Disclosure: This post is in a sponsored partnership with Suncore Foods. All images and opinions expressed are solely mine. Thank you for supporting brands that help make Sift & Simmer possible!
For my eldest son's 4th birthday, he begged me to make a rainbow-colored birthday cake.
Not wanting to use any artificial colours, I was up for the challenge.
It actually turned out pretty good for an all-natural coloured cake.
Except, the colours weren't as vivid.
They were somewhat dull, but you could make out the different colours.
My son was so excited when I cut open the cake and revealed all the layers. He was just so happy!
For almost an entire year after, he kept reminding me to make another rainbow cake.
When Suncore sent me their Supercolor powders, I just knew I needed to remake a rainbow cake, this time in the form of a mille crepe cake.
An All-Natural Rainbow Mille Crepe Cake.
I won't lie, this cake does take some time to make as you have to make the batter ahead of time, divide and colour the batter, and then slave over the hot stove to make each layer. It's all in the name of love, right?
Well, my dear boy, I think I've done it -- albeit 2 years late.
Whimsical and colourful, this All-Natural Rainbow Mille Crepe Cake will be sure to turn heads.
Make it for a birthday party and watch the kids ooh and ahh.
Other recipes you may like
Let me know if you try out my recipe! I'd love to see. Tag me on Instagram @siftandsimmer or leave me a comment/rating below.
All-Natural Rainbow Mille Crepe Cake
For accuracy and precision in baking recipes, use weight (metric) measurements when available.
- 1 C + 3 tablespoon whole milk
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ¾ C all-purpose flour
- ¼ C granulated sugar
- pinch sea salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
For the colours:
- Red: 1 teaspoon red yeast rice powder + 2 teaspoon Suncore Pink Pitaya Supercolor Powder
- Orange: ½ teaspoon red yeast rice powder + 1 teaspoon Suncore Yellow Goldenberry Supercolor Powder
- Yellow: 2 teaspoon Suncore Yellow Goldenberry Supercolor Powder
- Green: 1 teaspoon Suncore Emerald Pandan Leaf Supercolor Powder
- Blue: ¼ teaspoon Suncore Blue Butterfly Pea Supercolor Powder
- Purple: ⅛ teaspoon Suncore Blue Butterfly Pea Supercolor Powder + 1 teaspoon Suncore Fuchsia Hibiscus Supercolor Powder
- oil for greasing the frying pan
Whipped Cream Filling:
- 1 C (250ml) heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoon powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
Make the crepes:
- Combine all the ingredients together in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Cover and let sit for 1-2 hours in the refrigerator.
- When ready to make the crepes, remove batter from fridge.
- Use a wooden spoon and stir the mixture.
- Divide the batter into 6 equal portions (about 100g each) in 6 individual bowls.
- Mix the corresponding Supercolor powders to colour each bowl individually from red to purple. Strain each coloured batter through a sieve before pouring into the frying pan.
- Heat up a small 5″ frying pan and grease with a little oil.
- Pour about 2 tablespoon of batter into 5″ frying pan.
- Let it cook over low heat, about 1-2 minutes, flip, and continue cooking for another minute.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool.
- Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Ensure crepes are completely cool before stacking upon each other.
- Note: Each coloured batter should produce about 4 x 5" crepes.
Make whipped cream:
- In a chilled bowl, add the heavy cream, sugar, vanilla and whisk until stiff peaks.
- Starting with the purple crepes, lay one crepe on a plate and place 1 tablespoon of whipped cream on top.
- Smooth the surface with a spatula and lay another crepe on top.
- Repeat with the remainder of the crepes, moving through the colours.
- Place into the fridge to set for at least 4-6 hours before serving.
- Serve chilled.
The nutritional information provided should be considered as approximate and is not guaranteed. Please use your best judgment to ensure food is safely prepared and/or a good fit for your diet.