These SunButter Chocolate Chunk cookies are crisp, nut-free and delicious. They're great for kids' lunchboxes!
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by SunButter. All images and opinions expressed are solely mine. Thank you for supporting brands that help make Sift & Simmer possible!
Admittedly, we're finally getting back into the swing of things after the Christmas holiday break, and for me, that includes thinking of different snacks to pack for my kids' lunch. (Can Spring Break be here already?) 🙂
Last year, that involved SunButter Chocolate Crispy Treats, and this year, my son decided that he wanted chocolate chunk cookies, after seeing some ads on TV portraying Santa with a plate of cookies. But not any old cookies... it had to be chocolate chunk cookies. (Ohhh, advertising!)
Since my son's school doesn't allow any nut products, I thought of these Chocolate Chunk Cookies and added some SunButter for additional flavour and protein (since my son is a skinny mini). My son inhaled the first batch of cookies and now I have to make a second batch so that he has enough for his snack for school!
Not too sweet, these delicious cookies have a crisp exterior and a slightly chewy interior, studded with chunks of chocolate pieces and sea salt flakes.
You can taste the sunflower butter throughout the cookie in the background.
Also, you can omit the sea salt flakes, but personally, I think it's even better with them because it just balances out the sweetness from the chocolate chunks.
Other recipes you may like
Be sure to check out:
Try these cookies and let me know what you think. I'd love to see your creations -- tag me on Instagram @siftandsimmer or leave a comment below.
SunButter Chocolate Chunk Cookies
For accuracy and precision in baking recipes, use weight (metric) measurements when available.
- 110 g all-purpose flour
- 80 g bread flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- pinch sea salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter room temperature
- 75 g sugar
- 60 g brown sugar
- ¼ C Organic SunButter
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 C chocolate chunks
- 1 tablespoon sea salt flakes
- Preheat oven to 350°F/177°C.
- Prepare 2 (two) 9" x 17" baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, sift together all-purpose flour, bread flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer bowl fitted with a paddle, add in the butter and sugar and cream for about 2 minutes, until lightened. Add in the SunButter and mix. Next, add in the egg, vanilla extract, and mix until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients in two additions, stopping the machine to scrape down the bowl. Mix ½ C of chocolate chunks into the cookie dough.
- Use a small ice cream scoop to form dough balls of about 1.5" in diameter and place on a lined baking sheet. Leave about 4-5" of space in between the dough balls.
- Chill in the fridge for at least 15-20 minutes.
- Bake at 350°F/177°C for about 8 minutes, remove from the oven and carefully bang the pan a few times before placing it back into the oven to continue baking.
- Let the cookies bake for a total of 12-15 minutes, or until just set in the middle. The cookies will firm up when they cool.
- Remove from oven and let cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
The nutritional information provided should be considered as approximate and is not guaranteed. Please use your best judgment to ensure food is safely prepared and/or a good fit for your diet.
Leave a Reply