Disclosure: This post is sponsored by SunButter. All images and opinions expressed are solely my own. Thank you for supporting brands that help make Sift & Simmer possible!
We did it!
The early 8:30am summer classes have just finished for my eldest. I was a little wary about whether I’d be able to handle getting the kids up so early for school, all the while, having their bed times extended since summer days are so much longer. But luckily I was able to wrangle the kids out of bed, get them fed, into the car, and off to school, only to return to pick them up 90 minutes later.
But now that summer school is over, it means he gets to spend more time at home with me and his little brother.
He’s at the age where he likes to ask to help around the house, especially in the kitchen. And I’m so happy he’s taken an interest in cooking and baking with his mama. (It does makes me smile!) Because, to be honest, I wasn’t in the kitchen AT ALL when I was a kid. Hah.
This brownie cup recipe is one of my long-time favourites. It’s easy to whip-up, and they’re perfectly portioned. And you can make it with your kids easily. No worries about having to bring out a knife to cut these brownies!
Super moist, chocolate-y brownies, swirled with nut-free SunButter make these the perfect kid-sized snack. I love packing these for school (if you’re already looking forward to September…), but in the meantime, I’ll just enjoy the rest of the summer with the kiddos.
SunButter Brownie Cups
- ½ C all-purpose flour
- ½ C cocoa powder
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- ½ C granulated sugar
- ¼ C coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 2 T SunButter
- ¼ C whole milk
- Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare a standard muffin tin and grease liberally with coconut oil.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa powder and baking soda into a bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together egg, sugar, coconut oil, vanilla, and sea salt. Add in the sifted flour and cocoa mixture and stir gently, alternating with the milk in 2 additions.
- Divide the batter into 8 muffin cups and gently tap to release any bubbles. Add a dollop (about ½ tsp) of SunButter to the center of each brownie and swirl with a toothpick.
- Bake at 350F for 15-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean or just a few crumbs clinging to it.
- Let cool for 5 minutes before removing out of the pan and onto a cooling rack.