This Mango Jasmine & Butterfly Pea Pearl Bubble Tea is a creative and refreshing way to enjoy bubble tea. The tapioca pearls are naturally coloured blue with butterfly pea.
Disclosure: This post is in a sponsored partnership with Suncore Foods. All images and opinions expressed are solely mine. Thank you for supporting brands that help make Sift & Simmer possible!
I've been making my own bubble tea at home for quite some time now, and although it takes some time and effort, I like knowing what's in my drink.
As a visual person, colour plays a large role in how we perceive things.
I remember the first few times making bubble tea, something seemed missing. Tapioca starch is white, so naturally, the tapioca pearls I made were white, which didn't "jive" with the whole concept of "bubble tea."
I slaved over how long to steep the pearls in the blackest, darkest tea I could find just so I could naturally darken the tapioca balls so they would turn black, like a commercial bubble tea.
The tapioca pearls ended up brown, and sure they were tasty enough, but the sense of drinking bubble tea wasn't quite there yet. It eventually didn't bother me too much, and I ended up making my own "black" tapioca pearls using activated charcoal, which is all-natural.
Colouring the tapioca pearls
I came across some "rainbow" bubble tea with various colours (artificial colours) in the pearls and thought it would be cool to make a vividly different version -- something that we don't expect in bubble tea.
I used Suncore blue butterfly pea powder to colour the boba pearls naturally.
Just add the butterfly pea powder to the tapioca powder when you make the dough.
So here's my Mango Jasmine Blue Butterfly Pea Pearl Bubble Tea. Layered with icy mango milk, a hint of sweet jasmine tea, and the showstopper -- luminescent blue tapioca pearls.
All homemade. All natural with no artificial colours or chemicals. I tried out this recipe a few times and my son (who's my official taste tester) declared it amazing and drank it all himself!
Of course, with bubble tea -- the limit is your imagination, so go and experiment!
Other recipes you may like
You may also like these recipes:
Homemade Tapioca Pearls (Boba) for Bubble Tea
Mango Pomelo Sago Pudding 楊枝甘露
Thai Mango Sticky Rice (Khao Niao Mamuang)
Let me know what you come up with -- I'd love to see! Maybe you'll make your own all-natural rainbow bubble tea? Tag me on Instagram @siftandsimmer or leave me a comment below.
If you’d like to try out these powders for yourself, use my code SIFTANDSIMMER15 for 15% off your purchase at Suncore Foods.* (*Note that the code is case sensitive. It is also only valid on www.suncorefoods.com and cannot be used on any bundles, cannot be combined wi
Mango Jasmine Blue Butterfly Pea Pearl Bubble Tea
For accuracy and precision in baking recipes, use weight (metric) measurements when available.
For the butterfly pea tea:
- ⅛ teaspoon Suncore Blue Butterfly Pea Powder
- 1 sachet Jasmine tea or any green tea of your choice
- ¼ C hot boiled water
- 1 tablespoon honey or sweetener of your choice
For the tapioca pearls:
- 1 batch Homemade Tapioca/Boba Pearls
- ¼ teaspoon Suncore Blue Butterfly Pea Powder
For the mango milk:
- ½ C milk or non-dairy alternative
- 1 C frozen mango chunks
- 1 C ice crushed
Make the butterfly pea tea:
- In a heat-safe jar, add ⅛ teaspoon butterfly pea powder, 1 sachet of Jasmine tea, and 1 T honey (if desired). Pour in the hot water and let steep.
Make the blue butterfly pea tapioca pearls:
- Make a batch of Homemade Tapioca Pearls and add butterfly pea flower powder to the mixture.
- Bring a small saucepot filled with water to a boil and add in the tapioca balls.
- Cook over medium heat for 6-7 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and place the pearls into the butterfly pea tea prepared earlier.
Make the mango milk:
- In a blender, add the milk and frozen mango and blend until thick and frothy.
- Pour the mango milk into a serving jar. Add crushed ice, layer the butterfly pea tapioca pearls and pour the butterfly pea tea over top.
- Add a straw and serve immediately.
The nutritional information provided should be considered as approximate and is not guaranteed. Please use your best judgment to ensure food is safely prepared and/or a good fit for your diet.
heather (delicious not gorgeous)
whoa the butterfly pea tea pearls are super creative! sounds so tasty paired with mango (: