Disclosure: I was sent samples from Wholesome Sweeteners for review purposes. All images and opinions expressed are solely mine.
The scent of warm ginger, molasses, and brown sugar. It’s not Christmas in my household unless there is some form of gingerbread being baked or consumed.
I remember making those DIY gingerbread houses in school, where you’d go crazy using all the royal icing you could get your hands on and hoarding as much candy as you could on your plate.
Ahh, I’m sure my son will be doing that soon with his class. However, at home, we like to keep it simple. Just some straightforward gingerbread cookies. I like having the kids cut out the shapes, as it makes them believe that they made the cookies themselves 😉
MY VERSION OF GINGERBREAD COOKIES
This year, I’ve decided to put a spin on regular gingerbread and elevate it with some cardamom in the cookies.
These cookies still have that hearty ginger flavour and have undertones of the cinnamon, cardamom and cloves, which are absolutely delicious with a chai tea. Or in my kids’ case, a tall glass of cold milk. Either way, they’re addictive.
As a long-time fan of Wholesome Sweeteners‘ products, I was thrilled to receive a package containing their Organic Molasses and Organic Dark Brown Sugar which I regularly use in my baking…. and even more perfect in my Gingerbread Cardamom Cookies.
As the kids get older, I’m trying to slow down and cherish all the memories that we’re making together, especially at Christmas time — and if that means having them cut out gingerbread or sugar cookies every year, you’d bet I’d be doing that.
May you and your loved ones make your own special holiday memories! Thanks to Wholesome Sweeteners for sending me their products for this post!
Let me know if you try out this recipe — tag me on Instagram @siftandsimmer or leave me a comment below.
Gingerbread Cardamom Cookies
- 85 g salted butter appx 6 Tbsp
- 80 g Wholesome Organic Dark Brown Sugar
- 115 g Wholesome Organic Molasses
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- ⅛ tsp ground all-spice
- ⅛ tsp ground cloves
- ½ beaten egg (appx 25g)
- 200 g all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, place the butter and heat in 20 second increments until melted. Add in the brown sugar, molasses, and spices.
- When the mixture has slightly cooled, whisk in the beaten egg.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder and baking soda, and mix until no traces of flour is visible.
- Pat the dough into a thick rectangle and wrap well with plastic wrap or parchment paper. Place the dough into the fridge to chill for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- After the dough has chilled, remove from fridge and dust a rolling pin with flour. Roll the dough to about ⅛" thickness and using a cookie cutter dusted with a little flour, cut out shapes as desired.
- Place the cut out shapes onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake the cookies for 8-12 minutes until slightly brown, or lightly firm. Let cookies cool on the rack for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to completely cool.
- Decorate the cookies if you wish or eat them as is.
- Cookies may be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.